Retro Fit

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Retro Fit

Post by beemerbaz »

My RT is 10 months old and when I bought it the only options I didn't include was the alarm and audio system. Would I now be daft to consider retro fitting the audio system at a potential cost of £1200 +
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
chrisvh

Re: Retro Fit

Post by chrisvh »

I considered the same when the dealer forgot to order the audio system on my last K1600. I decided against it on price grounds, but have it on the new RT. The radio is great. I am a Radio 4 fan and speech is clear and intelligible at over the ton with plugs in. I use moulded plugs with a 22db insert which works well for me. Love skipping through the local stations when touring. Even the US forces radio in Germany is tolerable!

Alpine units do come up on Ebay and I assume with a good installer you could do a retrofit at non-BMW prices.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I know that Alpine units can be fitted to the 1600 if it came out if the factory with the prep bit fitted.  I'm told on the 14RT it cannot be retrofitted.  I would have thought that on a 2013 and  earlier bikes the same would apply.
beemerbaz

Post by beemerbaz »

How about a portable DAB Radio with Bluetooth, anyone know of such a thing small enough to slot into a bar bag or the storage compartment ?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I believe some Scala Rider Headsets include FM Radio, might be worth a look.
beemerbaz

Post by beemerbaz »

I have a Sena smh10r set up, the reason I was looking for a Bluetooth radio, hopefully to pair up. I have 100,s of tunes on my sat nav but it's nice to have live radio occasionally.
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

I've just wired in a small DAB radio which is powered off the bike, to the autocom.

(I've powered off a fuzeblock using a 12v to 5v micro usb, however with the engine running I lose the Dab signal. This doesn't happen when charging from the front bike socket which has me beat atm)
Attachments
image.jpg
Ch00

Post by Ch00 »

7vwh wrote: I've just wired in a small DAB radio which is powered off the bike, to the autocom.

(I've powered off a fuzeblock using a 12v to 5v micro usb, however with the engine running I lose the Dab signal. This doesn't happen when charging from the front bike socket which has me beat atm)

Hows it working out? Interested to try this myself.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I like this idea.  Does it work?
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

It works great. I've not sorted out the interference issue yet! I've set the charging lead to be permanently live and charge the radio up when I park the bike as the radio goes to sleep when fully charged so doesn't drain the bike battery. No problem locking the radio away when out and about as habit has me removing the Nav5 anyway.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Nice to see your a Radio 2 man
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Maz12 wrote: Nice to see your a Radio 2 man

Hadn't spotted that.  I can gte radio 2 no problem on the bike audio.  4x is what I'm after...
Sleafordblade
Bike Model and Year: R1250rt 2020
Has liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by Sleafordblade »

7vwh wrote: I've just wired in a small DAB radio which is powered off the bike, to the autocom.

What make is your dab radio and where did you get it from, it looks like just the item I've been looking for.
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Sleafordblade wrote:
What make is your dab radio and where did you get it from, it looks like just the item I've been looking for.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/pure-move-2 ... wledgement

Ch00

Post by Ch00 »

I have once of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sonichi-S100-Digital-Radio-Adaptor-iPod-AUX-FM-Transmitter-Detachable-Faceplate-/191411130343?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276 Its meant for a car but sits in the glove box seems to work pretty well signal is a little intermittent in the sticks but as its a FM transmitter as well the sound was decent though the intercom.