Annual meet 2023 Discussion Thread

Want to arrange a local meet or ride out with like minded people? Then please post about it in this section with all the details and dates.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Re: Annual meet 2023

Post by MikeS »

Sullivj wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:51 am Tim and I should be good for the 14th, 15th and 16th, and have booked the Dumfries PI for the Friday and Saturday. We actually stayed there last year - it was OK.

Thanks for organiging MikeS. It's 'only' 6 hours from home!
Excellent
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

As the dates now look fixed at Friday 14th July for 2 nights, I've advised Markus too.

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels ... be727e968e
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Im restricted for two weeks booking leave weekdays between 14th and 28th July. May be able to get 14th off but not sure yet and then it would depend on accomadation prices at time. But no problem with missing a year.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The PI Advance price of £150 has already gone up £3.

Advance

Pay now, fully refundable with free cancellation up to 28 full days before arrival, free to amend thereafter until the day of arrival.

Book early to avoid disappointment and price rises.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

David. wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:08 pm The PI Advance price of £150 has already gone up £3.

Advance

Pay now, fully refundable with free cancellation up to 28 full days before arrival, free to amend thereafter until the day of arrival.

Book early to avoid disappointment and price rises.
Probably best not to keep checking the price David. I think the PI site measures interest around a certain date and adjusts the price accordingly. The more you search, the higher it could get for those who haven't yet booked.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Not everyone stayed at the PI in Hereford this year (2022) and it worked out ok.

Found this on Booking.com, https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/dumfri ... #hotelTmpl check out the address.
Breakfast included, free cancellation (until 23:59 on 11 July 2023) and no prepayment needed (pay at the property).
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 28 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

What happens on a meet?

Just bought an R1250RT, I ride like a granny with the wife on board and try to avoid the wet - I'm not new, just wise :lol: Done over 100K on big bikes over the years, and the scariest thing is a gravel car park :roll:

I may be interested subject to date/locations/whatever - I don't currently have any restrictions on anything, so am putting out feelers to see what people are up to.

James
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Markus has confirmed his booking, Friday 14th July for 2 nights at the Flex rate.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Hi James, the annual meets have been running since 2016. The idea is that the organiser chooses a location from which there is a lead circular group ride out on Saturday 15th July. A group riding system is used to cater for all riders. As folks travel from different parts of the UK, most book 2 nights accomodation. Arriving on Friday 14th July and departing on Sunday 16th July. Over the years, the group has been mixed (guys & gals) but most recently has become guys only. This is not meant to exclude ladies but to make you aware of those who usually now attend. As a fair weather rider myself, I always book the Flex rate at the Premier Inn. The location for 2023 is Dumfries and Mike(S) has very kindly agreed to arrange the ride out. Anyone who lives locally to Dumfries may choose to just do the day ride out or perhaps only stop one night. It would be good to see some new faces at the meets, I'm sure you will be made to feel welcome. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask, David.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:13 pm Hi James, the annual meets have been running since 2016. The idea is that the organiser chooses a location from which there is a lead circular group ride out on Saturday 15th July. A group riding system is used to cater for all riders. As folks travel from different parts of the UK, most book 2 nights accomodation. Arriving on Friday 14th July and departing on Sunday 16th July. Over the years, the group has been mixed (guys & gals) but most recently has become guys only. This is not meant to exclude ladies but to make you aware of those who usually now attend. As a fair weather rider myself, I always book the Flex rate at the Premier Inn. The location for 2023 is Dumfries and Mike(S) has very kindly agreed to arrange the ride out. Anyone who lives locally to Dumfries may choose to just do the day ride out or perhaps only stop one night. It would be good to see some new faces at the meets, I'm sure you will be made to feel welcome. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask, David.
It's MikeS's year to plan and organise things David, don't be trying to manipulate things in the background like you did with Bob21 & myself over the last Two years.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mike(S) has chosen Dumfries as the location and proposed a circular ride out. The dates seem to have been decided upon dictated by the price of accomodation.

James has asked some questions which I've tried to answer in the hope that it will encourage him and possibly others newbies to attend.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:46 pm Mike(S) has chosen Dumfries as the location and proposed a circular ride out. The dates seem to have been decided upon dictated by the price of accomodation.

James has asked some questions which I've tried to answer in the hope that it will encourage him and possibly others newbies to attend.
You'll be interferring in the background, just like you tried to do with myself and Bob. You've already booked the PI hence Bob's post about letting others know beforehand.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mike(S) posted a screenshot of the PI at Dumfries which showed the proposed dates and prices.

After seeing this post not beforehand, I booked the PI at the Flex rate, allowing the dates to be changed if necessary.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

The screenshot was an example of what accomodation was available around that time, together with a proposed route. I based it around dates that I thought people would be available. It was for the group to decide if it was acceptable.

The dates are dictated by people's availability not just price. I'm happy to commit to the 14th July if there's going to be a good turnout, so far we've not heard from the rest of the usual suspects. The previous annual meets have been a success because of the people that attended and the banter, not the price of the accomodation.
Let's make sure that we can get a good turnout, hopefully everybody else can make it.
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 83 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

I may be interested, just don't about availability at the moment.