Annual meet 2023 Discussion Thread

Want to arrange a local meet or ride out with like minded people? Then please post about it in this section with all the details and dates.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Re: Annual meet 2023 Discussion Thread

Post by BoB21 »

It really depends on what you want to do. If more basic routes and ease to learn i concede that basecamp is not the way to go. But if you want intricate and a libary of routes to rely on then basecamp is worth preserving with. It took me less 20 minutes to plan route to this years meet via many of the infamous passes and avoiding a lot of motorway. Through peak district Dales and lake district. Lol plus £200 on fuel over next 10 years. Just saying.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Annual meet 2023

Post by David. »

MikeS wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:46 am Although I struggle with BaseCamp I'm not sure how else to share the route.
Following the ride leader using the "second man drop off/marker" group riding system equals route shared, job done.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Re: Annual meet 2023

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:26 pm
MikeS wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:46 am Although I struggle with BaseCamp I'm not sure how else to share the route.
Following the ride leader using the "second man drop off/marker" group riding system equals route shared, job done.
Yet 'you' had the inability to follow these instructions on this years annual meet and went off on your own :lol:
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This group riding system was not used thoroughly throughout the whole of the 2022 annual meet ride out. I came to a junction where the rider ahead of me didn't know which direction to turn, it wasn't marked. (This was not the first time a junction had gone unmarked). I became frustrated and yes, I left the ride making my own way back to the hotel. My failure was not telling the Tail End Charlie I was leaving the ride. Lesson learnt on my part.
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

On a previous year a rider missed the turn because they were overtaking a lorry and saw marker to late, luckily they had seen marker and turned round and I stopped group from riding on further. Didnt they David!!!!!! I was back marking for IAM group had problem with my helmet( that one left open for you Simbo) stopped to sort out, first junction i came to no one there, 95% sure should have been right turn but followed system straight on and never found the group again. having been on many drop off rides the system only works if everyone is switched on, Mistakes do happen, multiple riders with route as well as drop off is a lot better option.
Last edited by BoB21 on Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Hi Darren, it sounds like in your IAM group example, the junction marker may have given up waiting for the TEC to arrive. Like you, I've lead, participated and back marked many group rides and I know what works and what doesn't. I agree, the system is only as good as those using it, if a junction goes unmarked, it fails. Posting the video was with the intention of trying to improve things for the future. (Might be worth adding it to the other thread so that it doesn't get lost here).

Sharing the routes doesn't always work either. Given the same .gpx or .gdb file, some GPS devices will create a different route from the same input. A key thing for me as a minimum is that all group members should know where the next rest/P&T stop is. In the event of anyone getting separated, they can make their way to the next stop and regroup from there.

Another complication is when some riders within the group have "bike to bike" comms., when others don't.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

David I don't understand some of your post's.

"Another complication is when some riders within the group have "bike to bike" comms., when others don't"
Why is it a complication? I don't understand

As for the riding format off TEC or 2nd man drop off and your comment off (Might be worth adding it to the other thread so that it doesn't get lost here) I feel sometimes you forget it's not your year, so why not leave it up to Mike to decide if he want's it in the other thread or even leave it until the Friday night/Saturday morning and for the group to discuss what everyone is happy with.

Why not just turn up and enjoy the weekend, ride the ride instead of trying to get involved or putting post's up.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I've ridden in groups where the ride leader and TEC had "bike to bike" comms. This wasn't made clear to the rest of the group. Some junctions were marked, some were not. It turned out that when the TEC could see where the ride leader had gone and communicated the fact to each other, a marker was not put down. Confusing for the rider in P2.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mike was asking, "other than BaseCamp, how else could the route be shared". The video was posted to show a tried and tested group riding system, which if used properly works perfectly fine. No need to share the route electronically with others. I would prefer to know before the ride, are we having a lead ride or self-guided after being provided with the route beforehand.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

David. wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:43 am I've ridden in groups where the ride leader and TEC had "bike to bike" comms. This wasn't made clear to the rest of the group. Some junctions were marked, some were not. It turned out that when the TEC could see where the ride leader had gone and communicated the fact to each other, a marker was not put down. Confusing for the rider in P2.
David , this thread is starting to drift off the topic. It's not about the finer details of group riding, communication or who marks which junction.
If we want to discuss these things then we should start a new thread.
As Michael has mentioned its about planning an enjoyable weekend in good company and having a decent rideout.
It's still 8 months away, I'll put further details on the Dumfries thread in due course.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

No problem Mike, I will wait until further details are posted within the Dumfries thread, thank you.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

I knew that I'd seen the RT meet up somewhere before , just didn't realize that it had been going on so far back.
Polish_20221017_191357402.jpg
Polish_20221017_191357402.jpg (214.91 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Last edited by MikeS on Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

We've been immortalised.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

BoB21 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:11 am I was back marking for IAM group had problem with my helmet( that one left open for you Simbo) stopped to sort out, .
:lol: I have no words Bob... I hope it was a brief stop and you managed to carry on with your ride to a happy ending (for both of you) after the slight helmet adjustment.... Sailor's & Motorbike's, It's new romantic drama soon to be released on Netflix.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

I've just booked the Premier Inn for Michael and myself for the Friday and Saturday night :) I'm going to book another hotel For the Thursday night because we're going up Thursday (which I haven't told Michael about yet) :lol: It's one I've stayed at many times over my golfing years in Dumfries, they do/did some cracking food! more importantly, the bar stays open until the resident is ready for bed :-D .... Maybe It's one for you 'DC'? It's only 5 mins from the PI by bike. It's a ten fifteen minute walk to Dumfries Centre if you fancy a bit of Nightlife? There's some cracking bars in Dumfries!
https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/caledo ... #hotelTmpl