Tyre Sealant

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Tyre Sealant

Post by MikeS »

Does anybody use this (or similar) in their tyres?
Screenshot_20221019-122058.png
Screenshot_20221019-122058.png (822.75 KiB) Viewed 364 times
A couple of the chaps that I went to Scotland with recently swear by it and tried to persuade me to put it in my tyres.
I didn't and then of course had a puncture in the middle of nowhere. This led to many "I told you so" comments over the next few days.
When we got back one of them sent me a picture of his back tyre with a nail embedded in, you could see strands of the sealant around it so it looked like it worked.

The sticky string repair that I used worked ok and got me back home without any problems (apart from a 200 quid bill for a new tyre).
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Re: Tyre Sealant

Post by burridge01 »

Don't use it and much prefer to repair a puncture with stop and go,then get it sorted when it's feasible. You need to take in mind that tyre fitters hate that stuff and you will invariably pay to have it cleaned out when they do any work on your wheel/tyre.Some fitters will refuse to fix a puncture when the tyre has that in it as they can't guarantee the work,same as tyre seal.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Don't use it Mike as it can also knacke the PSI sensor. Use normal roadside puncture plugs as a temporary repair, Sim had a puncture in Spain 2 yrs ago in his front tyre and the temporary repair lasted him approx 18 months and about 2k miles haha
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Massive no from me!

It was in my fjr when I bought that and if left long enough it degrades and becomes corrosive to bare alloy

The result on the fjr was a new front wheel
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

No from me prefer sticky string. Works and can always try again if not.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

When checking tyre pressures with a gauge , a small amount of air comes out of the tyre. The tyre sealant attempts to seal what it sees as a leak and bungs up the valve. The gunk can get past the valve, into the gauge and knacker that too.

I've used the "sticky string" type repair method to good effect too.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I use Slime on my Himalayan bike. That has tubes fitted and the tyres had kept their pressure for 2 years. I will have to semi disagree with David for the first time(sorry). On testing the pressure I've had none coming through the valve if you know what you're doing. Turn the valve between 9 am and 3 pm like a clock. If you check the pressure at 6 pm you will get the gunk coming out. The goo also balances your wheel too.
As for using it with tubeless tyres i have no problem but with the TPS fitted to our bike i would say NO. For peace of mind, a plug kit is better.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Doctor T wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:58 am On testing the pressure I've had none coming through the valve if you know what you're doing. Turn the valve between 9 am and 3 pm like a clock. If you check the pressure at 6 pm you will get the gunk coming out.
Good point, I must have checked my tyres at the wrong time of day!
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Didn't you know that the highway code states you can only check tyre pressures at these times
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.