Gerbing or similar heated clothing

Got any questions on clothing? Want to write a review to help others in choosing the right gear?
Cas21

Gerbing or similar heated clothing

Post by Cas21 »

hi all,
Anyone had experience of the heated vest and how good they are?
I had the gloves before the time of Bmw ownership and heated grips. They seemed to work well
If I got this vest, for my good lady by the way!,  would it's current draw trip the socket because of the canbus system and would I then have to hard wire to the battery?
Any help/guidance appreciated
Sprintgull

Re: Gerbing or similar heated clothing

Post by Sprintgull »

I've got an Oxford vest and it works well.  Heats vary from cremation to mildly warm.  Only criticism is that the padded high collar is too bulky for my fat neck.  It is wired straight from the battery with an inline fuse.  The way I've set it up, socket sits under the seat and is easy to pull out for use. 
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Cas21 wrote:If I got this vest, for my good lady by the way!, would it's current draw trip the socket because of the canbus system and would I then have to hard wire to the battery?
The electrical rating of the on-board sockets is a max. of 10A.

The Gerbing 12V heated jacket draws 6.5A.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Cas21 wrote: hi all,
Anyone had experience of the heated vest and how good they are?
I had the gloves before the time of Bmw ownership and heated grips. They seemed to work well
If I got this vest, for my good lady by the way!,  would it's current draw trip the socket because of the canbus system and would I then have to hard wire to the battery?
Any help/guidance appreciated

On the basis that no two individuals are the same, I would spend the extra on a heated jacket (sleeves are heated) rather than just the vest, whatever brand you buy. That is the least risk approach.
Even in the depths of winter I use thin fleece shirt, heated jacket and outer jacket (minus its thermal lining). My fused controller is wired directly to the battery because I have a full set of heated clothing.
John Bentall
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

I use a Keis heated vest/tabbard (resembles a waistcoat) during the winter which I plug in directly to the bike’s 12v accessory socket. This vest is great at heating up around your body core, ie kidneys and torso.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Steve F wrote: I use a Keis heated vest/tabbard (resembles a waistcoat) during the winter which I plug in directly to the bike’s 12v accessory socket. This vest is great at heating up around your body core, ie kidneys and torso.

They say that keeping the core warm helps the extremities and consequently heated gloves etc are not required.

I have poor circulation and therefore this tactic 100% does not work for me. I need heated gloves and socks when the temperature approaches freezing.
John Bentall
chrisvh

Post by chrisvh »

I would recommend the Warm & Safe jacket. Infinitely adjustable and very comfortable.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

If you owned both a heated vest and a heated jacket, the vest would never get used after trying them both. Your arms get a good bit of air on them, even on an RT, and keeping them warm is worth the few dollars for the jacket over vest. Keeping your core warm is good, but I would not say it eliminates the need for heated gear for hands, legs, or feet. The main thing I like about heated gear is the lack of bulk when riding. The thing I DON'T like is that when you get off the bike at a rest stop you can get colder. Like everything, it is a compromise.

I have Gerbings jacket, gloves, pants, insoles. They have served fairly well. But I would never recommend them. The Gerbings company seems to be in turmoil. You cannot even find an actual address for them. I think their technology is lacking compared to a couple other brands as well.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, I do resort to heated gloves when it gets near freezing. I use the Gerbings which are great because they use stainless steel heating wires around each finger (and thumb) and across the back of the hand, which is where the heated grips (albeit very efficient) can’t reach!
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

chrisvh wrote: I would recommend the Warm & Safe jacket. Infinitely adjustable and very comfortable.
I'm a big fan of the warmnsafe gear too,  I have a full set with a dual controller.
My feet and hands suffer in the cold but since investing in the heated gear 6 or so years ago riding in the cold is a pleasure
DonVulpes

Post by DonVulpes »

I have a Keis heated waistcoat/vest for chilly days when I might be out as the temp drops at night.
Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves for when it's really cold, or I have a long day in the saddle.

Both are excellent and highly recommended. It's surprising how much nicer a ride is, when you feel snug and warm, even if you didn't think you'd need the gear.
No matter where I'm going, getting there on two wheels is always best.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Since buying my Rukka gear and having the RT, I haven't needed my heated gear at all and I ride all year around. I find the wind protection really good on the bike. Although I do wear a marino wool top under the jacket liner, but have not needed the long johns at all. Do use the Gerbing gloves when on our blood bikes though as some of the heated grips are not great  8)
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

My Rukka, with the thermal insert in, usually works for me, the trip to work usually means I have a T, shirt and thin wool jumper. This has been enough at minus 10, being the coldest. Had to put the grips to max, although that did take about 10 miles before they became useful. Only problem was stopping the draught down the back of the neck, used a fleece neck warmer.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

As long as my phalanges(fingers and toes) are warm I can cope with most temperatures. In the British winter, i only wear, bodily is a second skin top and leggings. Coupled with the thermal lining in my jacket and trousers. I find wearing too many levels restricts movement
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
audibob2
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200rt
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Post by audibob2 »

My wife has a Keis heated jacket which keeps her toasty on winter rides. It is very well made , and has connections built in for gloves.

As I do not like bulking up with excess layers, I have purchased some Keis heated pants, and again , are top quality with an elasticated waist, plus

connections in the bottom of each leg for heated socks/ liners.

A 300 mile trip to visit family this friday gives me an opportunity to test the pants, especially as I will leaving quite late in the evening.

The only negative is that my wifes jacket, which we bought two years ago, came with the manual heat controller, plus the remote bluetooth unit which

I fitted to the bars. This was really handy .

Unfortunately, Keis have discontinued the remote bluetooth unit due to reliability issues, so now, if you buy the bluetooth controller, which is

the same as the normal heat controller , but with built in bluetooth , you have to download their app onto your smart phone

to select the heat settings. This means either use a manual controller which can be distracting whilst riding , or purchase the bluetooth heat controller

and install a quad lock and cover for your phone.

Bob