Adjusting Headlight for LHD or RHD

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Adjusting Headlight for LHD or RHD

Post by David. »

On the Twin Cam RT's, I think there is an adjuster behind the RHS headlight marked, LHD/RHD.

The Rider's Manual doesn't mention it and recommends using adhesive tape.

I use a removable headlight protector, which has the LHD to RHD conversion stickers attached.

Has anyone tried using the adjuster?
Last edited by David. on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gatesy

Re: Adjusting Headlight for LHD or RHD

Post by gatesy »

Hi Dave,
I noticed you have yet to get a reply on this. I am in the same boat with a 2007 model and wondered if you had found any further info from other sources?
Tea & sympathy available, plus some tools
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Im nearly sure there is no adjustment for RHD.  BMW will sell you a template to make a masking but not the actual mask. I have done many European trips and never bothered as you can cause damage to the glass/plastic as the masking builds up heat. There is height adjustment on the back of headlight unit on 2005 to 2009 and 2014 models. 2010-13 have a knob on the dash.   
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Hi John, just thought I would pose the question.

As has been confirmed, there is no manual adjustment from LHD to RHD & adhesive film needs to be used.

Using a removable headlight protector, negates the need to stick adhesive film directly on to the headlight.
There is a 4mm air gap between the two & have ridden thousands of miles without any problems.
http://www.nippynormans.com/products/r1 ... hlp-1200rt

I have a free download of the BMW template dimensions required, to make your own, as I did.
Unfortunately, for some reason, the www. link required seems to be no longer available.
If it's any help, I could scan & email it to you or post some ready made templates.
It gets better, I have just found a spare set of adhesive films ready to fit.

Not the most close up photo, but this is how it looks on my 2010 bike, complete with Austrian Vignettes from 2013.

Last edited by David. on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BMW Headlight conversion, LHD to RHD.

Reading the dimensions to make the templates is quiet difficult, even on the original document.
Last edited by David. on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
gatesy

Post by gatesy »

Thanks all for the replies,

I hope you won't mind but this comes in the form of a 'round robin' reply,

The bike came with a headlight protector and from the pics was probably an NN part as it looks the same and the last owner was, I know, a customer of his.  Looking at the area of plastic the headlight is composed of it looks quite a pricey item and so the protector seems a good insurance extra to have, so it stays on.

I don't fancy the mask, and again, from the pic it seems to cover a lot of the area of the headlight and so potentially reduce the light output too much - thanks for the offer.

I was looking for a more final solution and so it looks like the French version of e-bay, namely 'le bon coin' for a replacement new/second hand part. Fingers crossed.

Tks again for the info and kind offers.

John
Tea & sympathy available, plus some tools
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Agree with your thoughts John, a replacement RHD headlight unit sounds like the best solution in your case.

If I'm heading outside of the UK & riding the relatively short distance to Newcastle or Hull for a ferry, I tend to fit the protector/converter before I set off.
For longer distances, circa 300+ miles to the South Coast, I fit it at the ferry terminal for the reason you have highlighted about the area masked off.

Don't usually plan to ride in the dark outside of the UK, so hopefully it won't be a problem.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote: On the Twin Cam RT's, I think there is an adjuster behind the RHS headlight marked, LHD/RHD.
Found this picture of a knob marked Left/Right, any ideas what it is for?

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I believe its for setting the complete headlight unit up, nothing to-do with the dip setting.