full beam. Why?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Re: full beam. Why?

Post by michaelc2710 »

If you use a Hex can or similar they can be set so the fog light turns off when the indicator is switched on and comes back on when the indicator goes off, just like alot of new cars do.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

michaelc2710 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:09 am If you use a Hex can or similar they can be set so the fog light turns off when the indicator is switched on and comes back on when the indicator goes off, just like alot of new cars do.
Could they be made to flash with the indicators?
michaelc2710
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

I'd have to read up on it and connect the lap top, they currently alternate flash with the hazard lights.
michaelc2710
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Forgot to mention you an increase and decrease the fog light brightness while on the move using the wonder wheel,
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

David. wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:51 am Are front yellow lights considered as fog lights

Front Fog Lamps

Front fog lamps may optionally be fitted to motor vehicles in addition to the obligatory front headlamps. Vehicles first used from 1 April 1991 are restricted to a maximum of two front fog lamps (schedule 6).

Fog lamps may emit either a white or yellow light and must be positioned so that they do not dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users. Ideally the lamps should be aligned so that the beam is aimed to the front and 3% below the horizontal when the vehicle is at its kerbside weight and has a weight of 75kg on the driver’s seat.

The lamps may only be used in conditions where visibility is seriously reduced and must be switched off when visibility improves. A matched pair of front fog lamps may be used in place of dipped beam headlamps in conditions of seriously reduced visibility but only if the outermost illuminated area of each lamp is not more than 400mm from the side of the vehicle.

Fog lamps fitted to vehicles first used from 1 April 1986 must bear the appropriate approval mark.

Front fog lamps must comply with certain requirements as to position and those fitted to vehicles first used from 1 March 2018 are subject to annual roadworthiness testing.

Front fog lights have to have an approval mark on the lens, UK it’s B.

As you can see lighting regs in the UK are a minefield.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

My understanding now is that front fog lights can be either white or yellow. They must only be used in poor visibility (fog), not as additional driving lights in daylight.

"The (BMW) auxiliary headlights have approval as fog lights and their use is permissible in bad weather conditions only."
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

David you’re right, fog lights can be white or yellow.
texrex3234
Bike Model and Year: 2012 BMW R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by texrex3234 »

David. wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:52 pm
Doctor T wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:44 pmI have a pair of yellow lens 10w spots mounted on my fork legs.
Could yellow lights be confused with indicators.
Not if mounted low on the forks.
texrex3234
Bike Model and Year: 2012 BMW R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by texrex3234 »

michaelc2710 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:09 am If you use a Hex can or similar they can be set so the fog light turns off when the indicator is switched on and comes back on when the indicator goes off, just like alot of new cars do.
So basically you will not have fog lights on when making a turn when you most need them.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

So basically you will not have fog lights on when making a turn when you most need them.
[/quote]

I would have thought fog lights would be more beneficial while traveling at safe speed in fog not when going around a corner?
michaelc2710
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Ill always have one lower light on, as one goes out so the indicator is clear to see for motorists it lights the road straight away after the indicator canels
Works well in conjunction with the active headlight function.

I've not ran into anything yet at night-time
jackronner
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I only turn on the high beam during the day when passing between cars, or lane sharing as it's called in California (where it is specifically legal!). Given the atrocious driving skills (??) of California drivers, it's a life-saving measure. At night I will only flash the high beams quickly to alert drivers ahead of me. I must say, the brights switch is the only intelligently placed of all the handlebar controls. I still have trouble searching for the horn and the turn signal off switch off on my 2009.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Turn signals turn themselves off after a short distance or a number of flash times.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
jackronner
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I believe that the turn signals flash 14 times before the auto shut off. Suitable for motorways, but not city streets. Also, most of my previous mix of bikes, and all cars, self cancel immediately upon completion of a 90° turn. Around town, the long self canceling feature on my RT may give false signals to other drivers. I have had cars waiting at a side street stop sign cut in front of me because they think I'm about to slow and turn at the corner and that they can safely move into the intersection, all because of my "stale" turn signal I’d forgotten to cancel from my prior turn. This is old tech, and its lack presents a real safety hazard for motorcyclists. I don't think that the boffins who design these bikes actually ride them! Witness the horrid mirrors.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Never ride with full beam on during daylight , only on very dark country roads at night will i use full beam .