General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Dented rims

Post by Steve398 »

I’ve read that the wheels are pretty easy to dent, so it came as no surprise that an MOT test today came with an advisory that my front wheel is dented.

So where do I go from here? I’m certainly not courageous or talented enough to start swinging a hammer around to resolve the issue for myself, and several calls prompted by Google searches have all been met with the same “We don’t do bikes” response.

The one positive answer came from Maidstone Motoliner in Aylesford, Kent, who appear to be alone in repairing cast bike wheels with a quoted 4 day turn-around, they can also arrange a while-you-wait service with notice. So I’ll drop the wheel off with them in January, it has to be cheaper than a new one!

https://www.motoliner.com/
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Dented rims

Post by David. »

I've dented rims on all three of my RT's,. the wheels are like toffee.

Fortunately, in the NE, there is Roy Thursby at Stockton-on-Tees who is only a couple of miles away from me to sort them out. The most recent one was earlier this year. I had to get the tyre removed and refitted/balanced (15 GBP) after Roy had repaired it in his custom made wheel jig (80 GBP).

A new wheel could be around 700 GBP.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Re: Dented rims

Post by Steve398 »

David. wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:27 pm I've dented rims on all three of my RT's,. the wheels are like toffee.

Fortunately, in the NE, there is Roy Thursby at Stockton-on-Tees who is only a couple of miles away from me to sort them out. The most recent one was earlier this year. I had to get the tyre removed and refitted/balanced (15 GBP) after Roy had repaired it in his custom made wheel jig (80 GBP).

A new wheel could be around 700 GBP.
When I lived in Lincolnshire many years ago I had the misfortune to run over a lorry spring hanger bolt which buckled and punched a hole through the front wheel on my ZX10. I found Thursby’s advert in MCN and travelled across to his workshop and waited as he welded the hole, and then straightened the rim with a big hammer on his home made jig. It was horrifying to watch but the wheel ran straight and true afterwards and didn’t leak either. I was astonished but very happy. Top man!