Brake failure light after front tire change

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Brake failure light after front tire change

Post by jackronner »

Brakes seem to work fine, the wire on the left side brake unit seems fine. I did displace both units for the tire change, and have never had the brake failure light flashing ever before this. The speedo was working after the change. I have a feeling it's not a coincidence that it only started after the tire change, and that it is not attributable to the ABS brushes, etc. Any thoughts?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Brake failure light after front tire change

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:57 am The speedo was working after the change.
The speedometer is activated by a speed sensor located in the top of the final drive unit housing.
jackronner wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:57 am Any thoughts.
Has the ABS wheel speed sensor become damaged during wheel removal and fitment, it's quite a close fit to the sensor ring.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Dave, How are you? I only mention the speedo after having reviewed other brake failure posts here, which often referenced it as a cause of the warning light. I confess I am confused as to the location of the speed sensor; if it's on the final Drive unit I'll take a look since I also replaced the rear wheel as well today. I assume from your reply that this would set off the warning light. BTW, what is the wire I mentioned on the front of the left hand brake assembly (which was where all my other bikes had the speedo cable)? It seems undamaged, but should I trace it to its upper connection, and with this also occasion a warning light? Again, the brakes seem to be working normally, but I haven’t tested the ABS with a panic stop since the tires are still slippery. Thanks.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Not being funny or doubting your abilities at all, but on replacing the front wheel is the ABS ring on the correct side? Very easy to fit the wheel the wrong way around.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:42 amI am confused as to the location of the speed sensor on the final drive unit.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:42 am What is the wire I mentioned on the front of the left-hand brake assembly.
ABS wheel speed sensor.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Dr. T, ding ding ding, we have a winner! You are correct, sir! BTW, do not have any compunction about doubting my abilities, as you so kindly put it. I had the tires mounted and balanced by a professional, and took great care to observe the rotational direction, which he had backwards, but absolutely no care to confirm the ABS ring was on the correct side! I'm sure that's the source of the problem. Back to the wrenches. Thanks again, Doctor.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Doctor T., It WAS on the wrong side, so I had the tire rotational direction remedied and remounted it properly, and Robert's yer muvva's bruvver - warning light's off. Cheers.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Well done. It's a easy error to do
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Dr. T, I see that you’re a don at Cambridge. That makes two dons that have figured in my motorcycle experience: My uncle Don started me on my road to motorbikes. We would visit Britain during the summers occasionally during the 1950s, when his family car was a 1936 600 cc Panther, with a two person side car. It even had a hand operated windshield wiper and sunroof! We’d all go on trips around Britain and I’d be riding pillion and having the time of my life. I bought my first bike in London, a ’71 Bonneville.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

jackronner wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:18 am Dr. T, I see that you’re a don at Cambridge. That makes two dons that have figured in my motorcycle experience: My uncle Don started me on my road to motorbikes. We would visit Britain during the summers occasionally during the 1950s, when his family car was a 1936 600 cc Panther, with a two person side car. It even had a hand operated windshield wiper and sunroof! We’d all go on trips around Britain and I’d be riding pillion and having the time of my life. I bought my first bike in London, a ’71 Bonneville.
How dare you Sir, Cambridge :evil: I was at Oxford Uni.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

A gross calumny on my part; imponderable but I hope not unpardonable! Next thing you know, I'll neglect to use the Oxford comma! Certainly no way to thank the man who solved my problem.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

jackronner wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:59 am A gross calumny on my part; imponderable but I hope not unpardonable! Next thing you know, I'll neglect to use the Oxford comma! Certainly no way to thank the man who solved my problem.
Sod the Oxford comma. In all my lecturing ive never bothered how my student used it or spelling mistakes. As long as i knew what they had written i still passed them. There is too much snobbery at Oxford.