Finally happened “fuel gauge “

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Tom 2
Bike Model and Year: r1200rt 2011
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Finally happened “fuel gauge “

Post by Tom 2 »

Hi all
Last night set out to do a two hour journey with a fuel gauge saying 90 miles left in the tank.
10 miles into it and the bike just died, rang the AA for them to tell me I have ran out of fuel.
Felt like a right plank.
My question to you good people is what route do I go down
Buy a new fuel strip
Try the zappy thing
I’ve hear about change to float
Or not bother and just keep topped up
Had the bike one year done 7 thousand miles. Did like the fuel gauge working but don’t want to go through that again.
Much appreciate everyone’s opinion
By the way the bike is a 2011 r1200rt cam head
Tom
Corker203
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt 2009
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Re: Finally happened “fuel gauge “

Post by Corker203 »

Greetings,

The fuel strip went out on my 09 RT while on a trip last Fall. Panicked at first because I thought that the bike might shut down. Have been clocking my miles since, and keep the bike topped off. A minor pain in the arse, but not the end of the world. One possible downside to doing this is missing another issue because I am used to the warning symbol meaning that the fuel level is low.

Contacted the dealership where the bike was originally purchased and learned that I missed the "window" for fuel strip replacement to be covered by BMW. They want around $500.00 USC to do the job. You might want to start with a dealer to see if there is any chance that BMW will cover the repair.

I was seriously contemplating zapping the strip because others have had good results with this, but it looks like a reoccurring issue requiring several "zaps" and body panel removal.

My bike needs a clutch, and the dealer wants $2800.00 to do the job. So, am going to tackle this myself and replace the fuel strip at the same time. Looks like I will have to invest in a programmer to reset the bike after the strip replacement.

Just bought a used lift table to work on the bike, and plan to use the long Winter here to complete the repairs.

Good luck with your decision!
Tom 2
Great Britain

Post by Tom 2 »

Hi corker 203
Looks like we’re all in the same boat.
Can’t believe that even putting a new gauge in is no guarantee it will stay working.
Come on BMW sort it out.
Had a year of no problems with it, and got caught out on the side of the road at night. Wasn’t nice
It’s like a ticking time bomb
Interested to hear how the clutch change goes.
Best of luck Tom
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Corker203 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:07 pm

My bike needs a clutch, and the dealer wants $2800.00 to do the job. So, am going to tackle this myself and replace the fuel strip at the same time. Looks like I will have to invest in a programmer to reset the bike after the strip replacement.

Just out off curiosity, what's the mileage on your bike?
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Corker203
United States of America

Post by Corker203 »

Just shy of 40K. Doesn't seem like a lot for the clutch, but I have been rough on it while loading it into the back of my toy hauler camper. Have smelled it burning several times, and the engagement is at the very end of the throw on the lever. I have since mounted an electric winch to pull the bike in.

The full strip went out around 32K.
vesper1957
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 2009
Australia

Post by vesper1957 »

I have a '09 RT. The fuel strip/gauge stopped working not long after I bought the bike

I tried the 'zap' fix - the gauge went from empty to half way. Now it is stuck there. I have the bike booked in for a new fuel strip on the 24th nov. Apparently its an 'improved' part according to the dealer. It will cost about $600 AUD with the part costing $325 and the rest fitting/calibrating

Lets hope it is an improved part and the issue goes away :lol:
Corker203
United States of America

Post by Corker203 »

What type of warranty come with the new fuel strip? That should be an indication of how much faith that BMW has in it.

I was not aware that the fuel strip was an issue until it went out on my rt and I began to research. It is concerning that BMW did not offer me an option for the repair as a good business practice. When I did talk to a dealer a few weeks ago, they indicated that I missed the "window" to have the repair made on BMW's tab. How could someone take advantage of this offer if they were not notified?
Tom 2
Great Britain

Post by Tom 2 »

Just phoned stealers
I was three months out of the last fuel strips warranty.
Two years is the warranty on the new one. Which he says has been improved. £278.99 fitted
Corker203
United States of America

Post by Corker203 »

As I think about this, one of the worst thinks about this situation is watching the darn warning flash on the display. But, not quite as bad as BMW not taking better care of their base. I realize that they did make the fix available to a lot of owners but wish that some type of notification was sent to me.

Good luck with your decision.
vesper1957
Australia

Post by vesper1957 »

Just an update

New fuel strip fitted - tech said is was working now. Paid $652 AUD!!!!
I Rode off , filled the tank. Gauge still on halfway.
I gave the bike a few kms to see if the computer did its thing to register new part - no such luck

Back to the dealer. Service manager said ' must be a faulty part' so booked in again next Friday, fitting another part.

Thing that bugged me was the road test comment said
'all ok now'. The rider couldn't have looked at the gauge!

So it doesn't sound promising. Other than this gauge issue the bike is great.

Watch this space ,...... if interested lol
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 83 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

Take a look at this to convert to float
vesper1957
Australia

Post by vesper1957 »

I took a gamble today. I rode my RT until the odometer showed 460km, which should leave approx 4 litres in the tank. I parked the bike overnight with the fuel cap open, but left the new fuel strip installed
This morning I used the Motoscan app, recalibrated the strip and everything worked! Fuel remaining was 3.95 litres, which would be correct, and 70km left on reserve, which was close
I filled the tank ( took 22 litres) and fuel gauge showed full. The only issue seems to be the range remaining,which showed 396km.
I will monitor over the next few tanks of fuel, and post results here to see if this changes
I suppose what I am saying with this long post is that the issue could be incorrect calibration more than dodgey fuel strips. Probably not but lets hope

Cheers :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

vesper1957 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:14 amThe only issue seems to be the range remaining, which showed 396 km.
The range is calculated on the basis of fuel level and average fuel consumption. I fill my bike up at the end of each ride, the filling station is only 1 mile from home,. the range would show approx. 250 miles. When next out on the bike, the range goes up as the average fuel consumption improves. Typically, can get up to 300 miles on a tank full of fuel. These figures seem very similar to those quoted above.
vesper1957
Australia

Post by vesper1957 »

Yes I agree that the computer will need time and distance to adjust itself. When I get some kms on the bike I will see how the range remaining changes.

Cheers :cheers:
vesper1957
Australia

Post by vesper1957 »

Hey everyone
Gauge working correctly. Range to empty within normal parameters (546km)

Gauge showed 1/4 tank left and took 20 litres to fill

So fingers crossed it has been resolved. It has a 2 year parts and Labor warranty so that's good

Cheers
:cheers: