UK Passport delay problems

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

UK Passport delay problems

Post by Doctor T »

Hi everyone, 3 months ago i filled in the forms to renew my UK passport. The office informed me that they received my application one week later. After a month i emailed them to see what the delay was and was told there is a backlog. Emailed them again at the start of this month to ask where or when i will receive my new 10 year passport and was again told there was a backlog and they have staff shortages( most of the staff are still working from home).
Has anyone else had a problem? I can't make any plans for my tour of eastern Europe until it turns up.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
yorkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Great Britain

Re: UK Passport delay problems

Post by yorkie »

Three months is a ridiculous length of time to have to wait, especially for a renewal.
I renewed mine at the beginning of this year and I think it took about a fortnight to receive my new passport.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Well, they've taken my money of course. This afternoon I bombarded them with Emails. I've also emailed the ministers responsible for immigration Robert Jenrick, and Abi Tierney, Director General. So far all I've received is the automated replies so far. At least i know I've got the right email addresses.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

This is strange as I know people who have applied for a passport and they have had a new one within 3 weeks
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Fast tracking through the post office works very well.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

At last, ive got an email telling me i will receive my nice blue passport next week. Now the hard bit of searching for hotels for my Germany trip.
Another bit of good news is BMW Motorrad has asked me what date i would like my factory tour. :cheers:
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Has anyone used either of the GOV.UK "Get a passport urgently" services, https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

My passport has expired but I currently have no plans to travel abroad. If something crops up at short notice, it's good to know that these services are available. There is a Passport Office in Durham which is only ~ 30 miles away.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

burridge01 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:38 pm Fast tracking through the post office works very well.
Does the PO service just check your application or reduce the time taken to renew a passport.

Can't find the answer in this link, https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/r ... t-passport
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I've never used the PO due to the extra cost. My son has and all he can gather was the person behind the counter had a quick look at the forms and put them in the passport office envelope.
The only time ive used an agent was for getting visas. I paid the extra due to needing them quickly and didn't have time to go to the consulates myself.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I know someone who has used the 1 day service at the Durham passport office. He needed it in a hurry but his work paid for it as they were sending him abroad at short notice.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/r ... t-passport
I use there digital service because they take the correct photo and check everything is OK.We have never waited more than 2 weeks for the new passport.For £16(for us)it's a no brainer.

As an after thought, I did renew mine before the 1st lockdown,I dare say things have significantly changed since then.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

80% of the office in London still works from home.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

burridge01 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:54 pm I use their digital service because they take the correct photo and check everything is OK. For £16 (for us) it's a no brainer.
That's not so bad as the £16 includes the cost of the photo, https://www.gov.uk/how-the-post-office- ... vice-works
An application could be refused if the photo is not correct, what's £16 in the cost of a holiday.

Sounds like a PO application doesn't jump the queue, just gives some reassurance that the application is filled in correctly.
The Passport Office are currently saying, allow up to 10 weeks for your application.
Last edited by David. on Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yorkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Great Britain

Post by yorkie »

David. wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:40 pm
burridge01 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:54 pm
An application could be refused if the photo is not correct, what's £16 in the cost of a holiday.
An online application will tell you whether the photo is acceptable before you submit it.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

yorkie wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:01 pmAn online application will tell you whether the photo is acceptable before you submit it.
Fair enough, all good helpful feedback, thank you.