Balkans - June 2023. Advice & tips please!

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
MattyP
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Balkans - June 2023. Advice & tips please!

Post by MattyP »

Hi all.

We are planning a trip to the Balkans in June next year. Plan to be away for about 3 weeks. We are thinking of motorway (or equivalent) routes down to roughly Villach (Austrian / Croatia / Slovenia border intersection). From there we thought about heading into Slovenia - Lake Bled; Ljubljana; Delnice. From there, heading into Bosnia - Plitvice Lakes; Sarajevo; Mostar before dropping in to the bottom end of Croatia - Dubrovnik and then taking the coast road back up to Split / Zadar / Trieste before heading back to Blighty.

Has anybody got any thoughts or pearls of wisdom that might help us - or suggestions regarding places not to be missed, given that we can't do everything!

All advice gratefully received.

Cheers.

Matt
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Re: Balkans - June 2023. Advice & tips please!

Post by Steve398 »

Sounds a great route 👍

We touched on the Balkans during a trip a few years ago when heading from Greece back home, via Bulgaria, Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia, a very brief run through a tiny bit of Bosnia then Croatia again, Slovakia and into Austria.

The Bosnia bit was brief only because our Carol Nash arranged Insurance didn’t cover us!

Have fun … and check your insurance :lol:
yorkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Great Britain

Re: Balkans - June 2023. Advice & tips please!

Post by yorkie »

MattyP wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:34 pm Hi all.

We are planning a trip to the Balkans in June next year. Plan to be away for about 3 weeks. We are thinking of motorway (or equivalent) routes down to roughly Villach (Austrian / Croatia / Slovenia border intersection). From there we thought about heading into Slovenia - Lake Bled; Ljubljana; Delnice. From there, heading into Bosnia - Plitvice Lakes; Sarajevo; Mostar before dropping in to the bottom end of Croatia - Dubrovnik and then taking the coast road back up to Split / Zadar / Trieste before heading back to Blighty.

Has anybody got any thoughts or pearls of wisdom that might help us - or suggestions regarding places not to be missed, given that we can't do everything!

All advice gratefully received.

Cheers.

Matt
Hi Matt,
I can't offer any advice on the Balkans as such but I did Eastern Europe this year, Slovenia, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic.
As you are suggesting I took autobahns etc (no toll roads) from Rotterdam down to Llubljana, I did it in 2 hops of approx 400 mile days, first night stopped in the Stuttgart area and then headed through Villach into Slovenia.
I took a day off in Slovenia and visited Lake Bled and the surrounding area, think of the Lake District with sun and you're about there :) A lovely area and an extra day to explore would have been nice.