To ACF50 or not to ACF50

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

To ACF50 or not to ACF50

Post by beemerbaz »

This time of year with the amount of salt laid on the roads I personally don't use any protection of the ACF50 type but prefer a liberal hosing down with cold water after every ride followed up with a good drying session from a fan heater in a confined space and then for the long term I have a small tube heater that sits under the bike until the next time the bike comes out or he onset of spring. The only extra I treat the bike to is a liberal coating of WD40 on all exposed parts that require it.

I have used this method since the 70,s with success. What tips or secrets do others have to keep corrosion at bay ?
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
guest2360

Re: To ACF50 or not to ACF50

Post by guest2360 »

I agree with the cold water wash and a dry off but if there's a chance of any road salt I would not warm the bike as heat on any left salt would lead to disaster.  One product never to use on a BMW is Muck Off.
beemerbaz

Post by beemerbaz »

Agree with you regarding warming the bike too soon but I do try to use the contents of a small reservoir to rid the bike of the smallest amount of salt, I am seriously considering buying a compressor to blow dry the bike too.

Muck Off is the devils fluid, I use very basic cleaning materials as believe they do a good enough job providing it's done often enough and properly, if I rode my bike for 300 days in the last 12 months I probably cleaned it 299 times [emoji15]
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I dry mine with a B & Q leaf blower.  Does a good job and really annoys the neighbours. 
beemerbaz

Post by beemerbaz »

I use the Car Plan 'Demon' range of cleaning fluids and polishes, can highly recommend.

Leaf blowers are a great invention for blow drying [emoji3]
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have had my RT professionally treated with ACF-50 by All Year Biker, http://allyearbiker.co.uk/.

"HaloSmart Protect is recognised as an effective long term protection treatment and recommended by several leading Dealerships across the UK including BMW Cooper Sunderland."

Arranged a Home Visit from All Year Biker, as I had stripped it to the bare bones.

For those not sure what the process involves, here are a few photos of some of the different stages.

Pre-rinse to remove any loose dirt.

The bike is then de-greased and shampooed if necessary.

Preparing to apply High Foam TFR (Traffic Film Remover).

Foam applied, this removes polymers, wax and any old ACF50.

Bike is double rinsed.

Warm air dry, ACF50 bonds better to dry surfaces.

Sensitive areas masked off, (wheels & brakes etc.)

Bike covered to contain ACF50 application.

Hand finish.

All plastics were then re-waxed by myself.

Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Interesting comments about Muc-Off, I do use it without any detrimental effects.

It was commented upon by both BMW Dealers who took my two previous RT's in part-ex., that the bikes were very clean examples for their year & mileage.

The 2010 model pictured, had been recently treated with ACF-50 prior to trading it in & this was reflected in it's value.
beemerbaz

Post by beemerbaz »

A great sequence of pictures, thank you very much.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If you are looking for a Bike Dryer, All Year Biker use something very similar, if not the same as this, http://www.bikedryer.co.uk/blaster_bike_dryer.php,
a great piece of kit & very effective at driving water out of those difficult to access areas.

"NO MORE LEAF BLOWERS OR COMPRESSORS!"
Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beemerbaz

To ACF50 or not to ACF50

Post by beemerbaz »

Do you think if I convince the wife it is also a hair dryer I could get it for her for Xmas !
Last edited by beemerbaz on Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: If you are looking for a Bike Dryer, All Year Biker use something very similar, if not the same as this, http://www.bikedryer.co.uk/blaster_bike_dryer.php,
a great piece of kit & very effective at driving water out of those difficult to access areas.

"NO MORE LEAF BLOWERS OR COMPRESSORS!"
[/quote
£199 for a blower.  Ill stick with my B & Q £30 jobby.  Muck Off can be a killer on alloy parts and I have know BMW to turn down warranty requests for corrosion when they found our it had been used. 
beemerbaz

Post by beemerbaz »

RTman10 wrote:
£199 for a blower.  Ill stick with my B & Q £30 jobby.  Muck Off can be a killer on alloy parts and I have know BMW to turn down warranty requests for corrosion when they found our it had been used.
Muck Off damaged a wheel on my 1150RT
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

"Muc-Off have now added Nano technology to their award winning cleaning formula.

Nano Muc-Off will also leave an invisible protective 'Nano Layer' which contains anti-corrosion additives to guard against surface corrosion, both during and after cleaning.
Their Nano Tech formula will also leave a sparkling lustre on all surfaces which will reduce dirt adhesion.

Muc-off is an incredibly effective cleaning formula that also cares for your bike's delicate finishes.
It contains no harmful acids, CFC's or solvents so it's completely safe to use on all parts of your bike (including paintwork, aluminium, anodising, rubber, suspension seals, disk brake pads, leather, carbon fibre, composites and decals etc)."

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-nano-te ... ith-spray/

http://muc-off.com/clean/10-bike-cleane ... ref_cat=11

If a cleaning product causes damage or corrosion, should any claim be against the product supplier & not the manufacturer of the damaged part?
Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Nano Tech. Short for nanotechnology?  Thats the manipulation of matter on an atom, so I have read. In a bike cleaner. Wow. 
Budman

Post by Budman »

What does the ACF50 cost to have done? In dollars? Seems quite extensive to have salt removed. Must be really bad on your side of the pond.
Ive always cleaned mine with gentle soap (Dawn Dishwashing Detergent) and rinsed thoroughly with cold water. Then blow dry or just go for a little ride.