Booster Plug removal for cold weather?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Tony Fyson
Great Britain

Booster Plug removal for cold weather?

Post by Tony Fyson »

I have fitted a Booster Plug to my R1250 RT (2019model). To be honest, I have not noticed much improvement in driveability.
Now we are getting to the cooler months, I notice that on starting, the exhaust smells much richer than normal.
Should I remove the Booster Plug during the colder months?
Thanks.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Booster Plug removal for cold weather?

Post by David. »

Tony Fyson wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:02 pm Should I remove the Booster Plug during the colder months.
Having read this, https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/cms-ho ... rsion.html the answer would be no, leave the BP fitted.

"With the BoosterPlug, you will get a 6% richer mixture regardless of the temperature conditions you're riding in."
walstibsf
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by walstibsf »

Tony, what neck of the woods do you live in? I'm thinking if you live at altitude, you may not experience the full effect others living at lower altitudes do from the boosterplug.

Thoughts?

V/R

Bobby
W A L S T I B....S F ...

What A Long Strange Trip It's Been...So Far
Tony Fyson
Great Britain

Post by Tony Fyson »

Hi Bobby
I live almost at sea level, in north Devon.
My highest hills are about 1000 foot above sea level.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Tony Fyson wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:02 pm I have fitted a Booster Plug to my R1250 RT (2019model). To be honest, I have not noticed much improvement in driveability.
Now we are getting to the cooler months, I notice that on starting, the exhaust smells much richer than normal.
Should I remove the Booster Plug during the colder months?
Thanks.
Booster plugs fool the ecu into thinking the outside temperature is lower than it is. This will increase the fuel/air mixture, hence why you get a fuel smell.
(I made a DIY booster plug. Cost under £5 for my RE Himalayan. These bikes run very lean. MPG dropped to 80 from 90 MPH.)
The Booster plug fools the ecu by thinking it is 20 degrees lower than it is. Personally unless you have a snatchy throttle or a ruff tic over i wouldn't bother with one. If you're using one to get more power, this will not work
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.