Bluetooth earbuds linked to audio system

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
mitcher16

Bluetooth earbuds linked to audio system

Post by mitcher16 »

Hi all,
just thought I would pass this on.
I don't have a communication system yet and I enjoy the music from the speakers but was looking for a set-up for my helmet.
This is more of an interim thing so didn't want to invest a lot of money but I picked up a great pair of Bluetooth earbuds and they sync up and work great!
Size is important because some of them are quite bulky so they wouldn't fit in a full face helmet but I found a pair, they have great reviews and they fit perfect in my helmet.
https://www.amazon.com/SoundPEATS-Bluet ... B01H6HVFNU
Anyways, a good cheap solution to listen to music and pair up your phone for calls if you don't have a communicator type of headset.
Cheers.
mitcher16

Re: Bluetooth earbuds linked to audio system

Post by mitcher16 »

Just wanted to add, the earbuds allow 2 Bluetooth connections and that will allow phone calls and the ability to listen to music via the bikes audio system. One connection for the bike, the other to your phone.
I don't have the Nav V unit yet so this is a great solution to those in a similar situation.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

mitcher16 wrote: Hi all,
just thought I would pass this on.
I don't have a communication system yet and I enjoy the music from the speakers but was looking for a set-up for my helmet.
This is more of an interim thing so didn't want to invest a lot of money but I picked up a great pair of Bluetooth earbuds and they sync up and work great!
Size is important because some of them are quite bulky so they wouldn't fit in a full face helmet but I found a pair, they have great reviews and they fit perfect in my helmet.
https://www.amazon.com/SoundPEATS-Bluetooth-Headphones-Earphones-Sweatproof/dp/B01H6HVFNU
Anyways, a good cheap solution to listen to music and pair up your phone for calls if you don't have a communicator type of headset.
Cheers.

Interesting idea.  Of course you will have the same limitations as all non-BMW BT kits in that you cannot control volume with the wonder-wheel.  Do you have any difficulty controlling the volume, how about using the mic for talking on the phone?
BMW MOA #210438
mitcher16

Post by mitcher16 »

timminator wrote: Interesting idea. Of course you will have the same limitations as all non-BMW BT kits in that you cannot control volume with the wonder-wheel. Do you have any difficulty controlling the volume, how about using the mic for talking on the phone?
I haven't actually road tested the set-up yet. I tested both connections though and it works flawlessly.  When the music is playing, the call comes in and you just press the middle button to accept. Music shuts off so you can talk. Press middle button again to end call and the music starts up.  What is neat if you press the middle button twice, it automatically phones the last number.  Siri for iPhone also works so you can just hold down 3 seconds on middle button and then use Siri to phone someone while keeping your eyes on the road.  The buttons hang just below the right side of the helmet so very easy to access. I didn't think the multi-controller worked for controlling volume but I am going to test that out again.  I am not really keen on accepting any calls when I am on my bike, that time is kind of for me, but thought it was pretty cool that is all syncs up nicely and only invested $30.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

I think the noise-cancelling feature is going to be a big benefit.  I have a buddy who uses the Bose noise-canceling ear buds (with his iPhone) and they work great.  It's surprising that none of the BT kits for helmets offer noise cancellation.  It might be because you need a very tight fit around the ear for that to work, and the helmets just aren't isolating enough.
BMW MOA #210438
tngarren
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2016
United States of America

Post by tngarren »

I realize it is a 6-year-old post but I just got my '16 1200RT. Would like to connect blue tooth earbuds to the bikes FM radio and avoid disturbing others with the bike's external speakers. Cannot get my apple airpods to connect to the bike or Nav5 bluetooth. Do I need special gear or am I on a fool's errand? p.s. do not want to use a helmet audio kit, just want to connect earbuds. Thanks in advance.
Marvin2Shoes
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011 MOD
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 17 times
Australia

Post by Marvin2Shoes »

I connect to my phone as it has music, phone calls and gps speed & maps... And if you are wearing earbuds that fit correctly then altering volume shouldn't be as big a consideration as when using bt speaker systems in-helmet.
It'd be great if we had use of the left-side cluster control but that is a BMW-only implementation that locks you in to a very niche collection of very expensive bmw hardware to take advantage of it. Better to invest more in a good waterproof phone with a quad lock mount, by my reckoning.
Now if BMW were to implement a control for phones that worked for Android & Apple then BMW would be moving to a more customer oriented system than at present.
Last edited by Marvin2Shoes on Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tngarren
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2016
United States of America

Post by tngarren »

Agree. I'd really like to use the stock radio and controls though. Oddly, I got a pair of non-Apple earbuds to pair with the stock audio. Only one ear bud had sound and the quality was terrible. I think I will explore tapping into the speaker wiring and install a bluetooth transmitter.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I have ever tried to use earbuds as I have a cardo packtalk intercom and it pairs with that just fine

There should be no reason why it won't pair up but saying that I have heard of a lot of issues with apple products and Bluetooth connections
Marvin2Shoes
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011 MOD
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 17 times
Australia

Post by Marvin2Shoes »

Yes, Apple produces both proprietry USB & Bluetooth systems that are unlikely to work with other brands.