Shaft Replacements

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Shaft Replacements

Post by Casbar »

You will probably all be aware of the technical recall for GS and GSAs to have a rubber grommet fitted in the cardin tunnel and shaft checks. Well this recall also covers RTps. But it also covers normal RTs that are classed as arduous duty bikes, so 3 of our RT blood bikes have also gone in for the checks, plus a RTp.

Result - 1 x R1200RTp - new shaft fitted. 3 x R1250RTs - new shafts fitted, none of the RTs have done more than 10k miles and one is a 21 bike. All have had the rubber valve fitted in the tunnel.

So, the question is, when are BMW going to add all RTs to this recall?
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Re: Shaft Replacements

Post by sakm »

It's rather worrying that shafts are getting replaced on such new bikes and low mileage yet they are allowing the general public to carry on riding them
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This is not a safety recall but a service bulletin/technical campaign.

burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 190 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Very helpfull David.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Fact - 1- only for GS and GSA and RTps

Fact - 2- all 2014 on RTs have exactly the same shaft and bevel boxes

Fact - 3 - Shafts are being replaced, now of course BMW could be replacing shafts just for fun, but then they might be replacing shafts because there is an issue with them.

So if there is an issue with them, they should be doing the "technical bulletin/recall" on all models of bikes that have the same components.

It might only be a technical bulletin/inspection, but we were told to immediately get our bikes into the dealer, our bikes were sorted within a month and I had to report back to BMW they had been done.

Is it something to worry about, probably not overly? The RTp had done 64k and the shaft hadn't given out, so I'm not worried about my own bike at 10k. But this feels like this should be happening to all models, but maybe BMW are doing it in batches.

So what is the problem? According to a tech I spoke to, the shaft rotating in the tunnel is causing a vacuum which is pushing the rear gaiter away from the sealed tunnel, so water can enter the tunnel and it has nowhere to go.

They are drilling a 4mm hole in the bottom of the tunnel which release the pressure, it is not for water, not pressure build up, then the rear boot should stay put and not let water into the tunnel.

Shafts are being replaced if they fail the BMW test, I haven't seen any of the replaced shafts, but assume to fail there must be vibration outside of the normal acceptable levels, due to water ingress and corrosion (that bit is superstition)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Not a problem with rust on this 2011 pre-LC R1200RT which has done more than 10K miles.

Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Proving new is not always better. Lucky for me my 2007 had a new shaft, and bevel housing paid by the PO after the UJ went a couple of years back.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

View this video to find out how to check if your bike needs the modification.

Use this BMW Recall Check website, https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/footer/quick-l ... calls.html

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This is the valve when fitted, the rubber thing in front of the casting on the swing arm.

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Doctor T wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:57 pm Proving new is not always better. Lucky for me my 2007 had a new shaft, and bevel housing paid by the PO after the UJ went a couple of years back.
I love vintage bikes as well :)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Everything I've seen and read elsewhere suggests that the valve fitted is "one way", allowing air/moisture out of the swing arm. If the rotating shaft inside the swing arm creates a vacuum, then the valve is fitted the wrong way around.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:07 pm Everything I've seen and read elsewhere suggests that the valve fitted is "one way", allowing air/moisture out of the swing arm. If the rotating shaft inside the swing arm creates a vacuum, then the valve is fitted the wrong way around.
How so. If there is pressure and the valve vents out and allows pressure to escape, then doesn’t that do the job. Anyway, just letting people know what I was told. Not interested in getting into a google expert debate. So I’m out 👍
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Casbar wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:58 pm Just letting people know what I was told.
Casbar wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:07 pm According to a tech I spoke to, the shaft rotating in the tunnel is causing a vacuum which is pushing the rear gaiter away from the sealed tunnel, so water can enter the tunnel and it has nowhere to go.

They are drilling a 4mm hole in the bottom of the tunnel which release the pressure, it is not for water, not pressure build up, then the rear boot should stay put and not let water into the tunnel.
Just letting people know that this is a contradiction and defies the laws of physics. The tech doesn't appear to be an expert.

BikeSocial seems to be a fairly reliable source of information, https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/n ... vice-check
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I'll be sure to mention he doesn't seem to be an expert. Bit shocking really as he works at BMW Technical and is the contact for all Authority bikes technical queries. I'll also let him know that he needs to refer to Bike Social at Bennetts for his guidance and David off the RT forum.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Casbar wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:39 am I'll be sure to mention he doesn't seem to be an expert.
When you speak to him, please could you ask the following.

1) How does a rotating shaft in a tunnel create a vacuum.

2) Would a vacuum not pull the gaiter towards the sealed tunnel, rather than push it away.

3) Will water be sucked (under vacuum) into the tunnel through a one-way valve.

4) Is drilling the hole relieving a vacuum or pressure from the tunnel.

5) If the hole isn't for water or pressure build up, why is it being fitted.

Invite him to create an account on this forum, I look forward to his responses, many thanks.