Getting old

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Corker203
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt 2009
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Re: Getting old

Post by Corker203 »

Started riding Japanese inline 4 cylinders when I was 16, and that was a long time ago. Remember picking up my band new Kawasaki KZ1000 in '77 and it scared the hell out of me before I even cracked the throttle wide open. Road that bike for a few years and until I had a mishap heading into northern Colorado. Had a slow leak in the front tire that caused me to go down. Luckily, I was able to scrub off the speed before putting the machine onto its side and skidding along the highway without flipping. So, so lucky! Quit riding for a long time after that, and it took everything I had to get back onto that motorcycle and ride back home a couple thousand miles.

Ironically, I started to ride again in 2003 on a Yamaha FJR1300. Purchased my first and current '09 R1200rt a couple years later and ride as much as I can to date. Seems like once it's in your blood, its kind off there forever. Most of the riders in my club are older, and a couple have "seen the light" and have hung it up. Some have tried three wheels but did not like the way that they steer. Seems like a good alternative and perhaps I will try it once I get there.

One thing for sure here in the States is that a good number of those not riding motorcycles seem to have become inattentive drivers. Perhaps the cellphone has something to do with that, but it is concerning enough to almost want to quit again. Early in the riding season here seems to be the worse as motorist are just not aware that we are out there.

As for the young guy in the shop, perhaps it's just a generation thing and it may just be a job for him. Sometimes I forget that I was once one of "those young guys!"
Dreadnought
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2018
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Re: Getting old

Post by Dreadnought »

Whilst I'm in my early 50s my daily bike is 68 years old