Gearing up for my last best bike. Strongly considering the RT. What says you?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
audibob2
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200rt
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Re: Gearing up for my last best bike. Strongly considering the RT. What says you?

Post by audibob2 »

At 67 years old now , and having ridden most of my life , I consider my 2015 R1200RT my last big bike before having to downsize .

It is heavier than my K100LT, but due to the low center of gravity, moving her around the garage and off the center stand is easy .

She is a delight to ride, much smoother than I expected, with very fast handling and loads of instant grunt.

I have always wanted a newer bike with modern technology before I have to stop riding.

I compared a 350 mile ride with the RT, to that on my old K100.

The RT felt more relaxed at motorway speeds, plus the fuel economy was slightly better. The seat was uncomfortable after 120 miles though ,

hopefully it will get better.

The comfort seat on the K100 was wonderful, good for all day riding. The twin horns were amazing, The RT horn came out of a Christmas cracker.

Ergonomics were better after fitting a foot peg lowering kit. On the K100, the ergonomics, including the fairing was spot on.

The throttle is much lighter and a shorter throw, which has caught me out a few times.

Clutch action is lighter which is nice.

My old K100 LT covered 660 miles in one day to Switzerland from the uk, and was really comfortable.

The K100lt is also better around town with superior low speed fueling.

The R1200rt is not the Perfect bike, clunky gearbox in first and second, plus low speed fueling issues, ( improved with a booster plug) .

The front end is growing on me, and at last, BMW put the clutch at the front, and set the throttle body balance via the electronics.

They also lubricated the gearbox via the engine oil, although the air filter is still hidden under a pile of plastics.

The exhaust flapper valve is a ticking time bomb for all of us.

Bob
Dreadnought
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2018
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Re: Gearing up for my last best bike. Strongly considering the RT. What says you?

Post by Dreadnought »

Personally, I'm 52, and an RT would have been the last thing I considered, well any large touring bike for that matter, I was used to RDs, Z1000J, then ZX10s, ZZRs, SP1s, SP2s, 916, 996, 998 Ducati's, Triumphs Speed and Street triples (the Street is an awesome little bike) and Classics (one of which is my daily ride) then I became a Blood Biker and had the opportunity to ride these large imposing touring beasts. I instantly got to love the ease of power without the "jump to light speed" acceleration of a super sports bike. This left me torn between an FJR1300 and the RT and I have to say the RT won as its lighter and easier to ride at low speed. I now own a 2018 R1200RT LE which I'm totally in ore of as it'll do most of what I want with little fuss.

Ok, BMW parts are expensive compared to Jap parts, however, I'm well used to Ducati's and thus for me the parts prices weren't that eye watering, in fact about the same if not a bit cheaper than the Duke parts. The bike is out of warranty and therefore, I go to a trusted local bike mechanic / technician and the servicing isn't that bad, only the cost of genuine bits bumps it a little over Jap bikes. The only downside for me is the finish on the mechanical parts, its on par with the Dukes of about 10 years ago, and therefore, not that great.
jclaudej
Bike Model and Year: 1250 RT 2019
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 14 times
France

Post by jclaudej »

Hello from France,

57 years is young ;)
After a lot of analyse, I think that our RT1250 is good ration between pleasure and ease.
Because this last motor version is very soft and the range rpm is similar as multicylinder.
This bike isn't too heavy and it's comfortable for me and my wife.
When I compared with the K1600, I love 6 cilinder but this bike is too heavy for me.

Last point, I am almost 67 old and I say eacht time that is my last bike since more 10 years :lol: