Motoscan

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
John O

Motoscan

Post by John O »

What functions are available for a rt1200  2011 on the motoscan  app
Marvin2Shoes
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011 MOD
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 17 times
Australia

Re: Motoscan

Post by Marvin2Shoes »

It looks like everyone uses the GS911 but it seems, of late, that this system is losing favour with the bmw community due to its cost and limited vin number memory. The motoscan software/cabling is cheaper by a factor of three and has no such limitation. Of course it seems to run on Android devices so a few ppl won't get any value there.
Anyone have an opinion either way?
2011 R1200RT Highly Modified
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I have the GS911 and unless you're planning on doing work on the side for a lot of people then the 10 vin should be plenty

I have never used the motoscan so I can't compare the two

Although I prefer a cable connection when doing anything with ECU's on a bike or a car as if your connection drops it can be pretty costly and you are less likely to lose a connection with a cable
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Marvin2Shoes wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:38 amAnyone have an opinion either way.
I don't have such technology but "The Old Mechanic" IMO is a good source of info. A lengthy video which I haven't viewed fully but may give some answers.

Marvin2Shoes
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011 MOD
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 17 times
Australia

Post by Marvin2Shoes »

Pricing on equivalent systems taken from eBay....
Motoscan unlimited + adaptor cable + interface = AU$188
GS911 unrestricted + adaptor cable = AU$655.
The bluetooth connection between helmet and bike hasn't ever dropped out when riding so not sure that's an issue between interface and phone app during a static diagnosis scenario, experience will be the kicker I guess.
I already have a quad lock to securely mount my phone over the dash rather than precariously perching a laptop on or around the bike (for GS911) with locality governed by a hard-wired cable.
I can't imagine the vibration during a throttle body adjustment would be conducive to laptop stability.
I don't know about everyone else but I'm quite annoyed that I have to outlay money to display information that could be very easily displayed on the existing motorcycle dash display.
Of course the greedy commercial interests of BMW, and every other manufacturer on the planet, makes information WE ALREADY OWN as expensive and difficult to access as humanly possible.
I remember a time, not so long ago, when I was capable of checking my own signal lights were functional and fixing a
headlight issue was the domain of roadside common-sense. I guess I sound like a relic of the past... Well at least fixing those motorcycles was enjoyable and most importantly, achievable. <long-time wearer of "grumpy old man" t-shirt><<shakes fist at cloud>>
Last edited by Marvin2Shoes on Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 R1200RT Highly Modified
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

A review here of the GS-911 if it helps anyone

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... iagnostics