General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 905 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

who riding tonight?

Post by Doctor T »

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone is out tonight on their bikes.
Am packed up and leaving in 10 minutes(9 pm). 190 miles to do to get to my relatives in Tonypandy in Wales. The wife is already there but i had something to sort out before i could leave. We do this trip every year. Hopefully, the M3 and M4 are quiet. Happy Chrismas
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: who riding tonight?

Post by David. »

Santa is getting geared up.

burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

I'm usually abroad on a bike at Christmas, can't do it this year cos of me accident, gutted doesn't cover it.Good luck and a safe ride to all who venture out on the bikes,especially the big man on the sledge :cheers:
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Not me! Three days of heavy drinking 😁 :cheers: Merry Christmas 🎅
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

There's a plus as i don't drink mind bending fluids.
Am back after more or less 400 mile round trip. Raining on the way there and the same on the homeward journey. On my way to Wales, only saw one other biker and he was delivering food. Changed my route a bit. M27, A34, and M4 made more sense from my home. This year my cousin also rode his R1250R. He rode from Hemel Hempstead. Of course, the usual bike chat happened to compare tyres. Mine has RoadTec 01 and he had just fitted a pair of BT32. He said so far they have acted as expected but they take a while to heat up.
Found out my Richa over suit is 100% waterproof and surprisingly so were my cheap winter gloves.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 234 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Pleased you survived the trip Doc, my bike hasn’t touched the road in weeks. I’m at an age where if it’s wet or cold I’ll take the car… It may make me a wuss, but a warm wuss!
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I hate to start a journey when it's raining. I didn't really suffer from the cold. All i wore was my jacket with the liner and a long sleeve Decathlon body layer. It's the same on my trousers too with again a pair of Decathlon Base layer leggings. I didn't wear any jeans under the suit.
Been using Decathlon base layer stuff for about 5 years and swear by them. Just bout a new set, cost under £20. I've tried the expensive types but they are not as good.
I've always ridden all year round. Was a London dispatch rider for years and i rode in all sorts of weather 10 hours a day. Each term break i would do this to pay for my tuition Uni fees.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 234 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I actually quite enjoy riding in the rain (as long as I'm dressed for it), it's just cleaning the bike afterwards that brings on the pain. For me it was 14 years on Police bikes and we were allowed 30 mins at the end of the shift for washdown as the bikes had to be clean, and I've never really got out of the habit.

However our riding kit was obviously chosen by people who didn't ride bikes because it was useless at keeping the rain and cold out. I do agree on Decathlon though, great stuff and a very good price... sizing and colours can be a bit strange though! :lol:

Today would have been a great day for a ride out but I got nabbed for grocery shopping.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Yeh, their sizing is a bit strange.
I know what you mean about riders not getting the right gear. I worked for City Link when they first started. They bought in a load of Kett gear. They leaked more than a colander.