Deluxe Top Box

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Burt

Deluxe Top Box

Post by Burt »

I just bought a new (demo) 2014 RT and it came with a deluxe top box, but i cannot find the socket under the rider's seat to plug it in. Is it possible my bike is not wired for the top box or am I missing a connecting wire with socket?
Levisp

Re: Deluxe Top Box

Post by Levisp »

Sorry Burt cannot help you but probably best to go back to the dealer and ask them to sort it. Great bike hope you enjoy it.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Its under the pillion seat.  Big round thing with a screw cap on it. But if it came with a top box, what did they do with the  cable if it wasnt plugged in.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Pages 151 & 152 of the Rider's Manual show how to remove & install the topcase including wiring.

The plug is centre RHS of this photo.

Rider's Manuals can be downloaded from here:- http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/inde ... _main.html

Burt

Post by Burt »

No plug with cap under pillion seat. The wire from box was just routed under pillion seat but not plugged-in. Being a demo (978 miles on it) the dealer sold it as used. I will call them and ask about the plug. Otherwise I love the bike. I had a 2011 RT and it was a really good bike and this 2014 is even better.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I thought they all had that plug as its needed for the central locking and the top box  brake light.  What spec is you bike and does it have central locking.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

In the Rider's Manual (US Model), pages 145 & 146 refer to removing & mounting the topcase, including showing a plug.
Burt

Post by Burt »

No central locking. I do see the plug in the rider's manual, but it is no on the bike. I will have to see what it will take to add it. Thanks all.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The plug is an integral part of the central locking wiring harness. I suspect it wont be possible to retro fit it as the main harness will be missing the necessary connection points. 
JeffSachs

Post by JeffSachs »

I had the same issue because my bike does not have central locking.  I had to have the dealer install a harness under the seat that then plugs into the box cable.  Works great.  They did not charge me for it because I bought the box the same day I bought the bike.  Works great.  I added the extra break light too. 
Burt

Post by Burt »

Thanks I found a plug wired for brake light and power for the internal topcase light under the pillion seat. It is not the round style like the topcase has, but a 4 pin style. It appears to be there to use for the top case or aux. I will get a connector and plug into it to power my topcase for brake light and dome light.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That plug you have found is probably the power for the rear accessory socket. If so you will find its live all the time the ignition is on.  As Jeffsachs has discovered you can get the proper cable retro fitted.