Nav V

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
stelyn

Re: Nav V

Post by stelyn »

Thanks  RTman10,  as always a `fountain of knowledge'
Regards,
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi DaygloDavid,  good clear photos of the mounting bracket,  you've posted some useful Web Links on other stuff, have you any  Links for dealers on these,  I only found one on the net nothing on Ebay or Gumtree  Ta, 
Regards,    8)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I purchased the Sat. Nav. Mount from a BMW Dealer, the Part No. was 71607708580, it cost £71 in 2011.
(They are now £73 from your local BMW Dealer.)

It didn't seem a daft price when compared to other none OE alternatives at the time.

Nippy Normans do this one, http://www.nippynormans.com/products/gp ... -21170-100,
I prefer the simple clean lines of the BMW one & the cost.

The photo was taken from this USA website:- http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=82511
Last edited by David. on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

DaygloDavid
Thanks for the info, the photo you posted looks good enough and hopefully easy to fit.
Regards,  8)
Last edited by stelyn on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

DaygloDavid wrote: Had a Garmin Zumo 660 https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/on-the- ... 17259.html
for 4 years now without any problems, originally fitted to a 2010 RT, now transferred to a 2012 bike.

The BMW GPS Mounting Bracket is a nice piece of kit.

The set up is wired through an Autocom so that both rider & pillion get the navigation voice prompts.

Purchased the Lifetime Maps & needed a micro SD card for additional memory, https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/prod69976.html.

The "Audio Out" socket allows you to just plug in some simple in ear or helmet speakers via a jack plug.

Not too familiar with Bluetooth, but looks like it is compatible with wireless technology.

The kit came with car & bike mounts etc.
Hi DaygloDavid, how easy is it to fit this type of kit as I have the chance now to pick one up locally. Do you have to remove the dash and screen ?    Still not sourced a  decent Sat Nav yet but continuing to look out for the right deal
Regards, Steve  :whistle:
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

To fit the bracket, you don't have to remove the screen, but it just makes access easier if you do, not a difficult task in itself.

You may need two 5mm longer screws for the bracket to dash mount, can't remember if they come with the bracket.

Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I've been following this thread with interest.  I have a Nav5 on my new RT but only because a) it integrates better into the dash and b) it was free with the bike.

As far as its functionality is concerned, I have mixed views. The screen is great and the processor is very quick. However, on balance I still prefer the old Zumo 550 I had on my Multistrada.

The integration between the control wheel and the Nav5 is minimal to the level of being pointless. The fact you can't lock it into the mounting is utterly stupid. The lack of an easily accessible SD card is dumb and the fact that you have to lean so far forward to reach the screen is dangerous.

If all you want is to use it for point-to-point navigation - like a car satnav - it's fine.

If you want to use a GPS as a proper touring aid, adapting the route as you go, in this case progress has taken us backwards.

Other opinions are available!

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I agree with the locking comment, totally daft.  On my previous K1600 I never took it off. However I find it very easy to reach.  On my 1600 I had to stand on the pegs and lean forward to get to it. Don't get your point about routes.  If you want to go from point to point on a trip you either load it using BaseCamp or add waypoints to the route.
chrisvh

Post by chrisvh »

I agree with the comments about lack of lock on the 1200RT WC. I have lost one satnav and the replacement has fallen out twice. Pathetic design fault by BMW.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Some of the locking mechanisms seem to have a built in fault.  You can press the button and it will always unlock the Nav but the button doesn't spring back.  If you don't notice, the next time you fit it, it doesn't lock on properly.  I knew mine was sticking but forgot to push it out and the Nav came off after a couple of miles. Managed to catch it when it landed on the tank.  Your local dealer can take it all off and loosen it up. The mechanism is identical to the one on the cradle used for the Nav IV/V with the exception of the extended button.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Don't get your point about routes.  If you want to go from point to point on a trip you either load it using BaseCamp or add waypoints to the route.
I like to build routes in BaseCamp and upload them.  I preferred to use the 550's easily accessible SD card but am getting used to having to connect the Nav5 itself.  My real point is that having the 550 bar-mounted, immediately next to my left hand was vastly superior to having to lean all the way forward to where the Nav5 is on the RT.  The bar-mounted 550 also made dealing with phone calls immeasurably easier (and less dangerous).

stelyn

Post by stelyn »

DaygloDavid wrote: To fit the bracket, you don't have to remove the screen, but it just makes access easier if you do, not a difficult task in itself.

You may need two 5mm longer screws for the bracket to dash mount, can't remember if they come with the bracket.
Hi DaygloDavid, couple of questions  (again, sorry )  Those two screws in the top of the dash for the mount  ,  can I undo them, is there a `nut' that's going to full off inside or are the `holes' threaded, I've seen somewhere that you, on some mounts have to removes the dash clocks.  Also for the navigator iv's are the maps freely updateable as with the Garmin  `LM' versions,  and is this via BMW website or the Garmin Site.    Thanks for your help,
Last edited by stelyn on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Just remove the two screws, nothing will fall off, the screws go into a captive thread clip, like those which hold the body panels on.
When fixing the bracket, make sure that all the holes are lined up & you can see the threaded clip, taking the screen off makes this easier to do.

Not too clued up on the BMW Nav. IV, however, having seen one & it's packaging, it's made by Garmin.
(I have a Garmin Zumo 660, had to purchase the Lifetime Map Updates, not an option when I bought it.)

Have spoken to Garmin on several occasions for Technical help, their aftersales support is excellent, give them a call.
I would guess it's done via Garmin Express, as I think you have to register the Nav. IV with them.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

All BMW navigators are under the skin Garmin and all are updated via Garmin. If you download Garmin Express (free) and plug in the navigator it will tell you if it has lifetime updates and if it is due any. Depending on your broadband speed this can take up to 7 hours to do and you might require an additional SD/Micro SD card. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

DaygloDavid & RTman10 many thanks, both as always,  a good source for tech information......... ;)