Poll of Battery Make Fitted

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?

What make of battery is fitted to your RT.

Exide
24%
Motobatt
8%
Yuasa
20%
BMW OEM (likely Exide)
36%
Banner
No votes
Odyssey
4%
Walmart AGM 120XL
4%
X2Power Lithium
4%
Option 9
No votes
Option 10
No votes
Option 11
No votes
Option 12
No votes

Total votes: 25

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Poll of Battery Make Fitted

Post by David. »

Which battery manufacture's make have you got fitted to your RT.

If BMW OEM, it's likely to be Exide, if not please post accordingly, thank you.

If you have got one not listed, it can be added.

The "Allow re-voting:" box has been ticked, if enabled users are able to change their vote.
Last edited by David. on Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:07 pm, edited 10 times in total.
SD1
Bike Model and Year: 2009 BMW R1200RT-P
Been liked: 13 times
United States of America

Re: Poll of Battery Make Fitted

Post by SD1 »

I am in the states, I am using a Walmart AGM 120XL which apparently is sourced through Exide. I cannot verify but if so, its an OEM with a fancy sticker on it. : )
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

SD1 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:02 pmI am using a Walmart AGM 120XL.
Added to the poll, get your vote in.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Option 8
I fitted a MOTOBATT MBTX16U to my 1200 about 18 months ago left it on when I part x it for the 1250 Fitted fine and was no problem but my battery is on an Optimate,
https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batt ... /ytx16-bs/

The OEM battery had lasted about 5 years. And if I had remembered how expensive it was I would maybe have swoped back the OEM before the partX :roll:
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

exportman wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:25 amOption 8. I fitted a MOTOBATT to my 1200 about 18 months ago, left it on when I part x it for the 1250.
Motobatt is listed as Option 2, the poll has been set to allow re-voting if the bike/battery is changed.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

David. wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:57 am Motobatt is listed as Option 2, the poll has been set to allow re-voting if the bike/battery is changed.
should have gone to ........ :lol:
Twisty Road
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Twisty Road »

A X2 Power Lithium battery from Batteries Plus Bulbs shops (USA) was installed by the original owner on a 2017 R1200 RT I purchased last September. Discovered it shortly after purchase when I installed a battery tender lead. Did a little research only to discover I would need to purchase a battery tender capable of charging Lithium batteries. After nearly 5000 trouble free miles the battery is working fine. Those Lithium batteries are feather light, not that the weight makes any difference on the RT.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Twisty Road wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:38 pmX2Power Lithium.
Have you voted for Option 8, if so, this can easily be changed.
Twisty Road
United States of America

Post by Twisty Road »

Yes, I voted for Option 8
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Twisty Road wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:38 pmAn X2Power Lithium was installed by the original owner on a 2017 R1200 RT. After nearly 5000 trouble free miles the battery is working fine.
Do you know whether or not the original owner had to change the regulator/rectifier to suit the Lithium battery.
Twisty Road
United States of America

Post by Twisty Road »

David. wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:10 pm Do you know whether or not the original owner had to change the regulator/rectifier to suit the Lithium battery.

Sorry David, I don't know the answer to your questions. However the regulator/rectifier looks undisturbed and my bike starts and runs perfectly. Even when running auxiliary driving lights, heated jacket liner, grip heaters and the seat heater all at the same time. The voltage display on the dash or Nav VI gps screen reads a constant 14.1-4 while riding down the road weather the heated stuff is ON or OFF.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Twisty Road wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:22 pmThe voltage display on the dash or Nav VI gps screen reads a constant 14.1-4 while riding down the road.
That's good, so the battery hasn't blown up or caught fire due to any voltage spikes.
Twisty Road
United States of America

Post by Twisty Road »

David. wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:10 pm Do you know whether or not the original owner had to change the regulator/rectifier to suit the Lithium battery.
David, Perhaps this info from the X2 Power Battery website will answer some of your questions.

https://x2powerbattery.com/lithium-powersport/

Smart Batteries

Active Intelligent Monitoring. The heart of every X2Power® Lithium Powersport battery. An integrated management system that actively monitors and reacts to multiple voltage, current, and temperature events to maximize performance, battery life and safety.
Fast Charging

Fully charge your X2Power® battery in 1-3 hours with built-in overcharge protection.

Long lasting charge in storage

X2Power® Lithium batteries maintain their charge for a long time in storage so motorcycles, ATVs and more toys start up even when not used for a long period.

Longest Lasting

Up to a 10x longer life span over equivalent lead-acid batteries. Charge lasts twice as long as traditional batteries.

Consistent Power

Access the full power of your battery from full charge to 1%. The available power will not drop as the battery depletes.

2X Lighter

Weight matters. Lose half of the weight from the lead-acid battery when switching to lithium.

Safest Battery Available

Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) are the safest replacement battery around for replacing lead-acid batteries.

Best in class service and support

3-year free replacement and top tier service and support from our battery experts.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Twisty Road wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:27 pmActive Intelligent Monitoring. The heart of every X2Power® Lithium Powersport battery. An integrated management system that actively monitors and reacts to multiple voltage, current, and temperature events to maximize performance, battery life and safety.
This seems to be the key, a battery fitted with (an internal) Battery Management System (BMS).

https://www.motorcycle.com/products/lit ... -realities

"In the case of powersports lithium battery failures, most of these occurred in batteries without Battery Management Systems (BMS). The electronics necessary to balance the discharge/recharge loads on a lithium battery have advanced to the level that the BMS shuts the battery down when an overcharge situation that could potentially lead to overheating and/or fire is encountered."