Toys for Arty

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Spencert231

Toys for Arty

Post by Spencert231 »

Since picking up my 2014 LT with all the mod cons less the audio system.  Since my bike was equipped to take sat Nav it was only right I purchased it is expensive but keeps the clean lines. However, what is am about to say May sound like a contradiction as I have also fitted front and panniers bars, which not all will like whilst others think they look neat, but after all I have not bought the bike for others it's mine, mine, mine ........

I have recently bought the front Avant extender fender and the Big Foot for side stand which will go on tomorrow if I have time.
guest2360

Re: Toys for Arty

Post by guest2360 »

Give us some pics so we can give our verdict. Nothing wrong with a bit of extra protection though.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I have the wunderlich engine bars on mine,  better safe than sorry..  Doubt I could live with the pannier bars though,  I ride without panniers most of the time anyway
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Maz12 wrote: I have the wunderlich engine bars on mine,  better safe than sorry..  Doubt I could live with the pannier bars though,  I ride without panniers most of the time anyway
The protection bars front or back would be as much use as a chocolate teapot in a crash but in a car park manoeuvre or some caveman/cave woman trying to operate a Chelsea tractor in the same type of manoeuvre maybe it would protect the expensive cosmetic accessories on the bike. That said I feel I needed them on the bike "a sort of comfort thing" for peace of mind and to at least try and protect my investment.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I dropped my previous RT ( hadn't put the side stand down)  at the time I had the panniers on which had the BMW pannier protectors fitted and I also had some Touratech crash bars fitted
The bars saved any engine/plastics damage up front but the panniers still got scratched,  I'm sure the rear bars would've prevented any damage to panniers but they're not for me
Agree,  that neither would prevent damage in a serious smash
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have seen many RTs that have been crashed or dropped and without fail if you crash any bike bars are not going to save it. Engine protection bars BMW or after market normally mean  you can drop it pick it up and carry on.  Panniers on the other hand will in a drop save the end can (£500+) and damage to the final drive.  To my cost I have been happy to replace/ repaint my panniers lids so never go out without them.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I'd rather have to replace my panniers than ride around with those hideous rear crash-bars fitted!

;) ;) ;)