2023 Active Cruise Control Question

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Bluecomet
Has liked: 13 times

2023 Active Cruise Control Question

Post by Bluecomet »

Does anyone have experience with the new (2022, 2023) active cruise control when riding in a motorcycle staggered formation? I'm looking at the 2023 and curious if it will keep me at a somewhat constant distance from the rider in front of me in a group ride.
yorkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Great Britain

Re: 2023 Active Cruise Control Question

Post by yorkie »

I think that will depend on how "tight" the stagger is. If you are not too far out from his line the radar will pick him up and keep you constant. However if the stagger is fairly loose then the radar will not catch him and if your speed is set to faster than he is travelling yu will ease past him.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

On these systems you can normally adjust the distance in which to keep from the vehicle in front and providing its picking a vehicle up then thats what it will do

The issue you have is in a group ride you tend to ride a little closer than you would following cars when riding on your own and the active cruise may keep you further back than you need/want to be
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is this short video any help, it demonstrates one bike following another.

Same demo. but a bit more detail here.

Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

sakm wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:34 am ... you can normally adjust the distance in which to keep from the vehicle in front ...

... and the active cruise may keep you further back than you need/want to be
Think this is a good summary:-) You have 3 levels of adjustment on the RT system, distant, more distant and a long way back - well in my view... Typically any auto system like this is "cautious" it is fine for motorways and riding spaced out in a group but I'm guessing not up to the job of dealing with a staggered group. Peter
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Having read the Rider's Manual, there is a whole host of ACC Warnings!

This may apply to the group riding scenario in the OP.

"Object detection can be restricted, for example in intersecting traffic, on twisting or hilly roads and when you ride offset from the vehicle ahead in your lane or if you weave from side to side in the lane."

"When ACC incorrectly deselects a detected object, the motorcycle accelerates back up to the road speed set beforehand. This can be the case in bends, for example."

"The radar sensor's object detection capability is restricted to the vehicle directly ahead in the lane."

I agree with Peter, IMO, don't think ACC is designed to be used as per the OP question.
Last edited by David. on Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yorkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Great Britain

Post by yorkie »

Peter Baker wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:45 am Think this is a good summary:-) You have 3 levels of adjustment on the RT system, distant, more distant and a long way back
In reality the factory settings are, extremely close, very close and close.
I asked my dealer whether the distances could be increased because at motorway speeds the maximum setting is nowhere near enough to stop you hitting the back of a car in front which is emergeny braking.
The answer unfortunitely was a "No".
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Warning for car owners with active cruise control. I have this system fitted to my 2022 car. Most of the time it works well but it doesn't register motorbikes
I complained to the manufacturer about this and called other manufacturers regarding this problem and all responded that a motorcycle does not give a large enough area for the radar to fix on.
Most of these systems have active braking when not using cruise control. This system brakes for you millie seconds before a collision. Again the system does not recognize bikes, motorcycles, or pedestrians.
Most car drivers do not know of the above. After my complaint to my car manufacturer, they must have tested this as they have informed me that they will update their handbooks on the next print and tell their dealers to inform the customers.
Sometimes it is good to be known in the automotive car safety industry.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Doctor T wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:27 pmA motorcycle does not give a large enough area for the radar to fix on.
I wonder if the same applies to a bike on bike system.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

BMW Motorrad says it does. Perhaps they have narrowed the radar signal view
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found this article on revzilla, https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/d ... ol-systems

"The systems will detect and follow other motorcycles, so they’re useful on group rides, although both manufacturers told me their ACC works best if you follow directly behind the target vehicle. This could have implications if you’re used to riding in staggered formation on group rides; the ACC could interpret a clear space ahead of you as a condition warranting acceleration up to your set speed."
jr1250
Bike Model and Year: 2022
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by jr1250 »

David. wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:49 pm I wonder if the same applies to a bike on bike system.
Can confirm. Was riding with a buddy the other day and the radar lost sight of him somehow and the bike started accelerating right toward him. I was on my 22 RT and he was on a 900 street scrambler. It was a bit unnerving and now I pay much closer attention to the little car icon on the dash indicating the bike is detecting the vehicle in front of you.
Tenequip
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Tenequip »

I have a R 1250rt 2022 and use the cruiser control quite often in active control. I have never ridden in a staggered formation with the RT. From my experience with the RT, I think the system will pickup the adjacent motorcycles and will prevent it from working correctly. When l’m riding in a close quarters staggered formation I would prefer to be in complete control and not relaid on a system that might work.

Tenequip
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Never been a fan of electronic systems that can momentarily "take over" control sounds scary , a friend of mine commented on the DCT on his Honda that takes over when going through a roundabout to adjust your speed if it requires it dodgy !!!!!!!