Clothing - Base Layers

Got any questions on clothing? Want to write a review to help others in choosing the right gear?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Clothing - Base Layers

Post by David. »

I use the EDZ Layering System, http://www.edzlayering.com/ & find they do what they claim to.

Merino Wool seems to be the key product, http://www.edzlayering.com/merino/edzs- ... rino-wool/.

What do you use & how do you rate them.
Last edited by David. on Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Wales

Re: Clothing - Base Layers

Post by jjwill »

I have always used silk thermal underwear and never been cold in really artic weather.  Also  light weight to wear.

http://www.patra.com/Products/MVN/mens-silk-thermal-vest-long-sleeve-v-neck
Chad

Post by Chad »

I use 'endurance' base layer. It's sufficient with just the top on under my leather jacket (with the lining in). It keeps you comfortable in the summer by wicking away any moisture and is 'adequate' down to 5/6 degrees I would say. (That's behind the screen of the RT of course).  My son wears Marino wool & he is convinced that is the best by far - but personally I've never tried it.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Icebreaker merino for me - and Falke socks...
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Aldi / Lidl compression socks, top & bottoms.  Used them for years.  Between half & a third of the price of makes like EDZ.
Mid layers merino walking tops from camping shops or Costco.. wish we'd had this sort of thing when I first started out biking 40 years ago!

Cheers

Miles
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Chad

Post by Chad »

I've heard Lidl get some bargains in every now & then. The rain suits especially are supposed to be exceptional- for a £10!
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

I shop regularly in Lidles here in France and yes they have some bargains occasionally, but in all honesty they are not in the same league as EDZ, UnderArmour, etc. I know I have several of each and the Lidles ones only get used when on the tractor.

Even the good base layer is ineffective against wind so to get maximum effect in most severe weather you will require a mid layer (Lightweight fleece) with your jacket serving as the shell. So the better the shell which will allow condensation to evaporate sweat the better.

They do however do unbeatable deals on red wine  :beer:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

With you on Lidl.  Some of their bike gear deserves to be ignored.  I did however about 5 years ago try to get a back support from my BMW dealer.  As they had none of their gold plated ones in stock I found one in Lidi for the price of a pint of beer. Its still in regular use..
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

As someone who really does feel the cold, I'm looking to possibly purchase some new base layers.

I've recently seen Zerofit, https://zerofit.co.uk/ advertised in motorcycle magazines.

Does anyone have experience of these products and if so, would you recommend them or suggest an alternative, thank you.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Having spoken to Zerofit in Antrim NI, (02894 465986) I've just placed an order. The customer services team could not have been more helpful. They are sending me two different sizes of both Heatrub Ultimate Baselayer and Leggings but only charging for one of each. The idea is, I'll choose whichever is the best fit and return the other. Zerofit are providing free returns packaging and address label. I've ordered a pair of socks too. Zerofit are currently running a promotion through Ride Magazine, using the code "freeneckride" you get a free neck tube which would normally cost £25.
yorkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Great Britain

Post by yorkie »

Never heard of them personally but offering service like that they deserve to do well.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

David. wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:02 pm Having spoken to Zerofit in Antrim NI, (02894 465986) I've just placed an order. The customer services team could not have been more helpful. They are sending me two different sizes of both Heatrub Ultimate Baselayer and Leggings but only charging for one of each. The idea is, I'll choose whichever is the best fit and return the other. Zerofit are providing free returns packaging and address label. I've ordered a pair of socks too. Zerofit are currently running a promotion through Ride Magazine, using the code "freeneckride" you get a free neck tube which would normally cost £25.
I’m just in the process of buying some of their kit so thanks for the heads-up on the neckie :cheers:
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I can recommend Decathlon base layer section. Good price and long lasting
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

My Zerofit order turned up today, would have been next day if not ordered on a Friday.

Their customer service is unbelievable, they are going to send me another pair of leggings to try for size/fit.

Although the neckwarmer was FOC, I'm not keen on it and offered to return it to Zerofit. As an alternative freebie, they are going to send me a bobble hat which I'm more likely to make use of. Can't fault the service.
Ed Harley
Bike Model and Year: 2013 R1200RT
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 50 times
Finland

Post by Ed Harley »

I have been using Rukka and/or Yoko base layer and micro fleece mid layer if it is very cold.
1983 GS1000G | 1984 GSX1100EF | 1997 FLHR | 2016 FLSTC | Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 XRT