Half of Europe Has Gone Missing

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Sir Larry
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Half of Europe Has Gone Missing

Post by Sir Larry »

Hi All,
City Navigator Europe NTU 2017.1 shows all of Europe. However, my original Navigator V packed up so they sold me a replacement for 100 quid or so and after installing the SD Card and actually having to buy the latest Europe map, City Navigator Europe NTU 2023.2, I now only see half of Europe. Basically Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, France Spain and some of northern Italy. This SatNav used to work really well but now it's just frustrating. Anyone else having this deep joy?
Thanks,
Larry
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Half of Europe Has Gone Missing

Post by David. »

I'm not familiar with the Nav V but on a Zumo 660, going to Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info tells you what maps are installed and selected.

The CN Europe NTU 2023.2 could be split into two parts and just needs both boxes to be ticked. Might be wrong but worth a look.

Found a Nav V Owner's Manual, https://www.manualslib.com/manual/86095 ... =15#manual

Enabling Maps
You can enable map products installed on your device.
1 Select Settings > Map & Vehicle > myMaps.
2 Select a map

myMaps: Sets which installed maps the device uses.
Sir Larry
Great Britain

Post by Sir Larry »

Hey David, Thanks for the reply and taking the time. I'll have a look at your suggestions. Funny thing but when I bought the bike and SatNav in 2014 both were brilliant. The bike still is but the [replacement for £130] Nav V is poor. The software is different - no twisty routes - and I ended up having to buy the European map as the device is no longer supported by Garmin. When I bought for 600 quid it promised map upgrades for life. iPhone mount anyone? :shock:
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Sir Larry wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:18 pm Hi All,
City Navigator Europe NTU 2017.1 shows all of Europe. However, my original Navigator V packed up so they sold me a replacement for 100 quid or so and after installing the SD Card and actually having to buy the latest Europe map, City Navigator Europe NTU 2023.2, I now only see half of Europe. Basically Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, France Spain and some of northern Italy. This SatNav used to work really well but now it's just frustrating. Anyone else having this deep joy?
Thanks,
Larry
I had a similar problem about four years ago on the way to Spain. Got off the tunnel and no maps of France,Spain etc. Turns out it was a problem with Garmin express which I hadn't updated before updating the maps.
Got home updated Garmin express and the maps came back.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sir Larry wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:18 pmAfter installing the SD Card and actually having to buy the latest Europe map, City Navigator Europe NTU 2023.2, I now only see half of Europe.
Active GPS offer this advice when installing maps supplied on SD cards, https://www.activegps.co.uk/garmin-maps-install.htm might be helpful.
Sir Larry
Great Britain

Post by Sir Larry »

Nice one. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
Sir Larry
Great Britain

Post by Sir Larry »

Hi All, So, at last I think I've cracked it. Having contacted Garmin - who did offer support this time - they gave me a few things to try out none of which worked, to be frank. I decided to reinitialise the SD card in the Navigator V and so far so good. I can see France. This has taken hours of fiddling which is a bummer but I'm there now.

All I need now is to find something that works better than BaseCamp which I really don't get on with. Seems weird that this whole satnav/laptop/route planner software thing is as unintuitive as this. Anyone know if there's an alternative to BaseCamp that wasn't designed by the Devil on his 5th birthday?

Thanks for the responses so far.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sir Larry wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:41 pmI decided to reinitialise the SD card in the Navigator V and so far so good.
What does that mean.
slparry
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE Dynamic 2015
Wales

Post by slparry »

The maps have now gone too big for the unit to install so you'll only get Europe north when updating with garmin express, install a 32gb sd card and then you can have Europe north and Europe South
Steve Parry BMW Motorrad (now KTM) sales executive current toys '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic. '14 F800GS ,'03 R1100S Boxercup, '85 R80RS Mono, 1990 K1