General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Panman40
Has liked: 257 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Insurance renewal

Post by Panman40 »

Sorry if this has a thread already.
My insurance is due next month on my R1250RT, I’ve done a go compare comparison and almost all insurers want £600 compulsory excess going up to £1250!!. However there’s one which is is £250 excess, includes full breakdown, legal, personal, kit etc which is motorcycle direct. I’m currently with Bemoto but they are terrible to get hold of by phone if you need to speak to them. I spent a lifetime almost with Carole nash but we parted company last year as thier prices went up and no amount of calls worked for even a tiny discount.

Any pointers welcome,
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 83 times
Great Britain

Re: Insurance renewal

Post by Glenn »

I have just done a quote on MCN Compare (my insurance is due in early March) Bennetts are the cheapest for me with a £350 excess on a 2018 R1250RT, up to 5000 miles, Social Domestic & Pleasure & Pillion.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Give bennetts insurance a try

I have been with them for over 8 years and no one has being able to beat their renewals
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

So many variables with insurance, it's nearly impossible to compare between companies and what other individuals have been quoted. Bennetts for instance for the last 4 years have been more expensive than IAM Surety who I have just renewed with. My 1250 costs me £160 fully comp with class A business use as well. Started out at £240 until I did the compare the market dance
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I found BEMOTO the cheapest with all the goodies included. Carol Nash my previous insured was £50 more with less to offer. Bennetts were even dearer.
My insurance is 0 voluntary excess with £250 compulsory. I've no problem contacting them by phone or email. In a post they said they have updated their phone system, so no one has to wait a long time to speak to them.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

When I upgraded from the 1200 to a brand new 1250 I expected to have my pants pulled down all the comparison sites were looking at 4 figure sums for the insurance plus a similar excess. ( I have full business insurance, pillion cover etc). Sent my broker all the new bike details and gave them a call a few days later, they had talked to the underwriters and they charged an additional £150.00 for the remaining 11 months plus excess increased to £300. :cheers: So my cover is less than half the price of the cheapest comparison quote I got. :!:
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Just like everyone else you have to shop around , it can vary massively depending on where you live of course i just surf MCN, Moneysupermarket, Confused .com etc and see what i get offered .
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Am like a troll searching for insurance. I even confuse myself comparing them. IRC i paid £187 for fully comp clothing, 120-day European breakdown, legal, etc. Some may be cheaper but you have to look at what you get and the feedback on the brokers. I could have got full comp for £98.00 but what you got was very basic insurance plus add on's for all the extras i wanted and the broker's feedback was the worse ive seen. It was amazing they were still trading
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Panman40
Has liked: 257 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Many thanks for the reply’s, very helpful 👌.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

I've used Hodgson & Mackenzie for the past few years. Very reasonable prices.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.