Motorbike rentals in the U.K.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Motorbike rentals in the U.K.

Post by jackronner »

I will be touring throughout the UK this summer, and I was wondering if anybody knew of a reasonable rental agency, or even a rideshare program? The latter is something we have over here, which is apparently legal, where private owners rent their bikes. I do plan to visit France, as well, if that is relevant to either option. I had to cancel similar plans last summer, after having already arranged for a buyback program in the Loire Valley. They had already found me a nice hex head, which I never used but which cost me $3000 after the buyback! My research has shown that that was cheaper than all the rental options. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Motorbike rentals in the U.K.

Post by David. »

David. wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:01 pmAlthough I've never hired a bike in the UK, found this thread on Adventure Rider, https://advrider.com/f/threads/motorcyc ... uk.659268/
After that, it's an internet search, https://bikerrated.com/experiences/motorbike-hire-uk/
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Would shipping your own bike to the UK be an option, https://www.schumachercargo.com/uk/moto ... to-uk.html

"Fortunately, we offer different services with multiple options whether you’re moving to the UK with a motorcycle or importing it for a temporary period of time."
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

David, I'm just now seeing your responses, and thanks very much. I've contacted one or two and await their reply, but most firms don't continue to deepen their discounts above one week, so unless I can find one that does so for my month-long hire, I'll probably be best off repeating my ill-fated buy-back scheme in France. I'll let you know how it turns out.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

If you are thinking of shipping your bike over your shipping broker /customs broker will need to get a ATA Cartnet issued for your bike covering the countries you wish to visit ( and may visit) its like a passport for your bike its a bit of a faf having to report to the customs when you arrive( In and Out) at a controlled border but it saves grief and potential taxes.
If you go into mainland Europe you should only need to do do it on arrival and when you leave the EU as the EU mainland has few physical borders
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks for the response, exportman, but I'd only resort to shipping my bike from California were I to relocate over there for a lengthy period. Otherwise, it would be wildly more expensive than rentals/buybacks.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Don't be to sure about that,the cost of renting a bike in the UK is high.When we stopped at Pyrenees motorcycle tours(highly recommended :thumb:)We met a Canadian couple who had shipped via Air Canada a Kawasaki Vn1700 and a Kawasaki Vulcan 800.According to them they saved a lot of money,even factoring in insurance and breakdown cover + taxes. And as they said,the bikes were set up for them and they knew what they'd be riding.
May be worth having a look.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

How to ship your motorcycle to the USA, https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/n ... the-states works both ways.

Is there anyone you know in the UK who could help you source and store a bike. AutoTrader Bikes is a good place to look, select your budget and see what comes up. Here's an example, https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-detai ... 00&fromsra
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks for the input, everybody. I think I've settled on renting in France from Ride in Tours beginning the start of May. I can rent a 650 V Strom for about €2200 for four weeks. It may be an extra good deal since my buyback scheme fell through last summer and they got a windfall profit. This is much cheaper than anything else I've seen in either country and, as for the suggestion of shipping my own bike, it is my only means of transportation, so I would be stranded before and after the trip. Cheer[s]rio!