Lithium battery transition

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Re: Lithium battery transition

Post by Doctor T »

Am confused about why you would need a lithium-compatible regulator /rectifier for just changing to a Lithium battery.
Personally, i don't like Lithium batteries. Their cells can go out of balance, meaning that it can take only one cell to have a slightly lower voltage, and the battery is done for unless you know how to bring that voltage up again. Hard to do unless you have the knowledge and the equipment to remedy the fault. A normal lithium charger will not fix a cell that is slightly down on volts.
They don't last for 10 to 15 years. This is a myth. 7 to 8 is the average they last. On some bikes, you need to have at least 4000 rpm to fully charge the battery. Not sure about an RT. Most of the hype is from the manufacturers of these batteries.
Cold weather does affect them more than a Gel battery.
I would only use a Lithium battery if i had only a small space and needed a battery that can be fitted at any angle. I.E a custom bike.

At Uni we tested automotive batteries for the Ministry of Defence(MOD). This was a long-term test. Acid, Gel, and Lithium batteries. They were considering Lithium due to the weight and smaller space needed. Acid came at the bottom of the test followed by Lithium. We found over time a Gel battery was more reliable overall. The tests included. Hot and cold temperatures, dust, water, drop test rates, standing with a drain, charging from dead, etc.
This is one of the reasons military and Police vehicles still have Gel batteries fitted. Also, they are not as some say "Green" due to the production of Lithium. If that's your thing.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Doctor T wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:27 pmWe found over time a Gel battery was more reliable overall.
As recommended and fitted as standard by BMW (Exide) to a Camhead RT.
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 43 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

David. wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:31 pm The Exide GEL12-19 is now £75 from Tayna Batteries, https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batt ... ide/51913/

or

£280 for this Bosch Lithium alternative, https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batt ... 3-lithium/

At just over £40, this Numax battery is the cheapest in the 51913 range from Tayna, https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batt ... /nts51913/

Would the Bosch Lithium last 7 times longer than the Numax AGM. Don't forget to add the cost of a Lithium battery charger.
Tayna are a great supplier, have had a few batteries from them and they do next day delivery.10years from a battery is great on paper, a lot can happen in those years and you could end up buying it for the next owner.
Marvin2Shoes
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011 MOD
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 17 times
Australia

Post by Marvin2Shoes »

Well if gel as good as it gets and since I am still getting undervoltage errors for my ABS then the only option left is that the ABS system is crap... which couldn't possibly be true because BMW wouldn't possibly allow as poor an ABS system as they used in the 1150 model... Ohhhhh wait... how long was the fuel strip a major money earner... er... issue with these bikes?
2011 R1200RT Highly Modified
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Has the charging system (alternator output) and Motobatt AGM battery (of unknown age) drop voltage been tested.

Is the battery being charged between rides, this could be masking a problem.