R1250RT Observations

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
robd1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Has liked: 1 time
Australia

R1250RT Observations

Post by robd1 »

Two weeks ago I picked up my new R1250RT which is my 5th RT. I had heard so much about the 1250 variable cam motor and was excited about the big TFT screen. I love the bike, it is smooth, comfortable, the cruise control is a winner as is the motor. My major disappointment is the TFT. Quite honestly I would rather go back to normal guages and a Nav 6 GPS. The connectivity is terrible. I've looked at forums and have tried all of the advice. It seems as if it is impossible to get total connectivity of all functions with a phone and a Cardo. The fact that you have to reconnect to BMW Connected each time you restart the bike , is ridiculous. If you do connect you have to keep the app open and renders the phone non functional. Bluetooth can't connect to two apps at one time so if you connect the Cardo to the bike you can't connect it to the phone without losing the connection to the bike. If the phone isn't connected to the Cardo then mesh doesn't work. Every combination that I use seems to create a problem elsewhere. I would love to be proved wrong and have someone come up with a solution that is stable and functional without major page changes while on the ride.
I reiterate, the TFT isn't a game changer, I still love the bike and would go the same way again but the TFT is a major disappointment.
Perhaps Apple Play would have been the way for BMW to have gone. A friend in our group has an Indian with Apple Play and he has total integration and full connectivity. Not that I would go away from BMW.
Motor32
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT '23
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Re: R1250RT Observations

Post by Motor32 »

I couldn't agree more, I also was so looking forward to the TFT and the ACC on this bike, but sadly both are disappointing. With the TFT in navigation mode, I can't read any streets that are rolling past, even fully zoomed in, sad.

The ACC has you following too closely to the vehicle in front, even at its farthest setting (I keep mine turned off, and use only the standard cruise control).

For the connection issues, I use a second old phone (with no cell service), and use the hot-spot of my first phone. The second phone, I only use for my Cardo/helmet speakers, this works well, but it takes a few minutes to connect it up. On the bike, I don't have my Cardo/helmet connected and use the bike's speakers if I want to listen to the RT's audio. Apple Car Play would've been nice, as it always works well in my car.

Steve

My connection video :
michaelc2710
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 30 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Hi Guys, are you both using IPhones?
I've had the 1250 with tft since they released it and at first the connectivity was cr4p but after a couple of updates everything was perfect.

It auto connects every time with both my Samsung phone and pack talk bold coms unit.

I'd never go back to a Nav 6 and old clocks.
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

michaelc2710 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:43 pm Hi Guys, are you both using IPhones?
I've had the 1250 with tft since they released it and at first the connectivity was cr4p but after a couple of updates everything was perfect.

It auto connects every time with both my Samsung phone and pack talk bold coms unit.

I'd never go back to a Nav 6 and old clocks.
Yes, iPhone here for both phones. I kept my Nav5 and have it mounted with a Ram mount too, it always works, and I can read what the street names are without a problem.

I've also been trying to figure out how to mount a small "Grandfather Clock", but no luck yet.

Steve
Attachments
howard-miller-611-324-TN.jpg
howard-miller-611-324-TN.jpg (21.21 KiB) Viewed 730 times
michaelc2710
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 30 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

The clock should fit in the top case..

It's well documented that the IPhone won't connect properly with the BMW connected App which isn't good if that's what you want to use.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 99 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Motor32 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:55 pm Yes, iPhone here for both phones. I kept my Nav5 and have it mounted with a Ram mount too, it always works, and I can read what the street names are without a problem.

I've also been trying to figure out how to mount a small "Grandfather Clock", but no luck yet.

Steve
I'm sure you'll be able to make space amongst the rest of the outdated crap you've got mounted behind the screen :lol: Android is the answer :thumb:
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

michaelc2710 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:54 pm The clock should fit in the top case..

It's well documented that the IPhone won't connect properly with the BMW connected App which isn't good if that's what you want to use.
I tried putting the clock on the seat resting it on the top-case, but the wife was squawking about not being able to see, and the "Mother-In-Law's" perch is on the top-case, so that's a no-go.

Steve

Mother-In-Law
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (16.91 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

I had a GS courtesy bike last year with the fancy TFT screen and I found it too busy to take it all in. I looked for a 1250 without it and the keyless ignition because it all just seems like such a faff as I don't do all the syncing my phone to everything shiz.