Puncture

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Puncture

Post by MikeS »

First puncture in 30 years yesterday, just had to be in the middle of no where on the Isle of Skye.
Luckily had my support crew on hand to help me sort it. Nail out and repaired in about 5 minutes.
Seems to be holding up which is good because there's another thousand miles to do before home.
Attachments
IMG-20220928-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20220928-WA0015.jpg (402.06 KiB) Viewed 455 times
David and Sally
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Puncture

Post by David and Sally »

Had one in Germany a few years ago. I had one of those string-type repair kits and, luckily enough, a motorcycle mechanic in the riding group. Job done.!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Having only experienced rear tyre punctures myself, has anyone had a front tyre puncture.

When repairing punctured F or R tyres out on the roadside, was this done in situ or was the wheel/tyre removed to effect the repair.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:35 am Having only experienced rear tyre punctures myself, has anyone had a front tyre puncture.

When repairing punctured F or R tyres out on the roadside, was this done in situ or was the wheel/tyre removed to effect the repair.

Got this one a couple of years back in the Pyrenees, hit a rock in the road after heavy rain fall the night before. We repaired it at the roadside in situ with a few cat shit strings. The repair lasted the rest of the trip and the rest of the tyre 😊
IMG-20210901-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20210901-WA0003.jpg (391.9 KiB) Viewed 385 times
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Stick rope does come in handy. I have a kit with an Airman pump in the pannier all the time. You never know.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David and Sally wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:42 amI had one of those string-type repair kits.
Me too, this type of repair kit seems to have proved to be successful in all cases posted, without removing the wheel.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

The first kits came out for Lorries when they stopped using Splitrims. They were not vegan friendly as animal fat was used But you can date the technology back to the wooden sail crafts
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
ozzey91
Bike Model and Year: honda
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ozzey91 »

MikeS wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:01 am First puncture in 30 years yesterday, just had to be in the middle of no where on the Isle of Skye.
Luckily had my support crew on hand to help me sort it. Nail out and repaired in about 5 minutes.
Seems to be holding up which is good because there's another thousand miles to do before home.
Wow, its amazing to making it that far without a puncture! That's quite an achievement. It's always helpful to have a support crew with you, especially when you're in the middle of nowhere. Good job on getting the nail out and fixing the puncture in just 5 minutes. That's impressive. Hope the rest of your journey goes smoothly and you make it home safe and sound.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Come to think of it. i think ive only had one puncture in 40 odd years of biking. I've had more on the cars. What the betting now that i will get one tomorrow :| :| :| :|
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 43 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

Did a bit of a tour around wales last spring and woke up to a low pressure warning on my K1600, nearest place was Castle garage in Crickhowell and as the warning was showing about 2bar I rode it slowly rather than fanny about with the sticky string kit at the guest house.Inspected the tyre and there was what looked like a slither of bone stuck in the centerline.
There was an old chap there must have been late sixties but a big strapping bloke on another K1600 who gave me a little bottle of Stans No Tubes for bycles. Said he swore by it. It lasted the next couple of days until I could change the tyre.