Hill Start Control

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Hill Start Control

Post by Casbar »

The HSC is much improved on the 1250s pulling away is easy. On the 1200s I used to use the pull the brake leaver as I got to the bite point to release. Seemed to be easy to stall otherwise. Whether there has been any software updates on the 1200s to make the HSC as effective as on the 1250s, I don't know, as I don't have a 1200 anymore :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is it correct that the HSC on a 1200 only had a manual mode. Whereas, the 1250 has both HSC and Hill Start Control "Pro", one is manual and the other an auto mode.

Identifying the bike model and year would possibly help to confirm the above.
Twisty Road
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Twisty Road »

Yesterday's warm and sunny late January weather was fantastic for a 220 mile ride across the beautiful countryside of East Tennessee and the Cumberland Plateau. Thanks to all the tips on activating Hill Start Control I finally had success in turning it on and off. Prior to yesterday, I had simply not been squeezing the front brake lever hard enough to activate it. Now to get smoother on the take offs while HSC is active.

Thanks to all for the tips and comments.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I have been out on mine today no warmth or sun though!

I purposefully used the hill hold and set off with it on to see if I can fathom it out

It turns out that if you get the bite point then just add a little bit more throttle and a little bit more clutch till you feel it trying then hold everything as is ie no more throttle or clutch it will then release after a few seconds giving a nice smooth set off
Panman40
Has liked: 257 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

I have mine turned off as I’m not really a fan of it :lol:
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I use mine frequently, particularly at traffic lights where there’s any kind of gradient, but always release it by reapplying the front brake rather than try and overrun the resistance.

Against my initial reservations I find it very useful.
audibob2
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200rt
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Post by audibob2 »

I recently read, like sakm states, if you operate the hill start assist system, then slip the clutch to hold your position , the hill start assist will release

and you can power off smoothly .

Having succeeded on a few medium inclines, albeit with no one behind or in front of me, I am going to persevere with it and try on some serious hills.

Sakm, did you find the reason for your low rear brake pressure .

bob
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

audibob2 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:16 pm
Sakm, did you find the reason for your low rear brake pressure .
No not yet! Still not had chance to get it to a dealer! I keep riding it instead :lol:
Jggpossum
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

The main "trick" I have found is that you have to pull the brake lever quite hard. If the H symbol hasn't come on then squeeze a little harder until it does. Very predictable and reliable. On take off I have learnt to give that little bit extra throttle as the clutch starts to bite.

Takes a bit of getting used to, but the skill involved is no greater than using the rear brake and learning to release gradually. But the benefit of allowing both feet to be on the ground in perfect balance is worth it.