21MM offset spanner for ball joint nut???

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
SD1
Bike Model and Year: 2009 BMW R1200RT-P
Been liked: 13 times
United States of America

21MM offset spanner for ball joint nut???

Post by SD1 »

Hi. guys, I am down to the last two maintenance items on the RTP

#1. Replacing the dust boot on the telelever ball joint. I do not have a 21mm offset spanner, can someone concur/verify that this is the correct size? The part is an M14 nut that I believe translates to 21mm correct?

#2. Alt belt. I know everyone says its a huge PITA to get the alt belt on, but, honestly doesn't look that hard? I am planning to pull the main spark plugs and use a couple of sizable flat heads to coax it on. Anyone have any magic they want to share, or a link to a YouTube of someone doing it without much drama?

Cheers!

-Doug
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: 21MM offset spanner for ball joint nut???

Post by David. »

SD1 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:18 am#2. Alt belt. Anyone have any magic they want to share, or a link to a YouTube of someone doing it without much drama.
Haven't done this myself but I do know someone who cut the old belt off as in this video by The Old Mechanic.
The new belt was fitted as per T.O.M. It's a Camhead GS but likely the same on a Hexhead RT.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

SD1 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:18 am#1. Replacing the dust boot on the telelever ball joint. I do not have a 21mm offset spanner, can someone concur/verify that this is the correct size? The part is an M14 nut that I believe translates to 21mm correct.
My bike is tucked away, otherwise I'd check it for you. The best I can do is offer this photo from the MAX BMW Parts Fiche.

Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 43 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

David. wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:01 am Haven't done this myself but I do know someone who cut the old belt off as in this video by The Old Mechanic.
The new belt was fitted as per T.O.M. It's a Camhead GS but likely the same on a Hexhead RT.

What a nice old boy and an entertaining video, I bet he'd be great to have a cuppa with. Was anyone else a bit nervous about timing marks when he fitted the belt or is it just me?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

No need to worry about Timing Marks. All the Belt does is drive the Alternator. One thing I would query is the Replacement Belt part number. I recently replaced my own Belt (2011 Twincam RT) and after lots of research came to the conclusion that the correct Belt is the 4 PK 592 ELAST. I think there is a picture somewhere on the Forum of my actual belt fitted. Also make sure that when fitting the Replacement the engine is only rotated in the direction shown in the Video.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Hexheads and Camheads have the same OEM alternator belt part no. 11318528385, https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxr ... series=K26

Image Image