Back protectors moan

Got any questions on clothing? Want to write a review to help others in choosing the right gear?
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Back protectors moan

Post by Doctor T »

Why is it that some companies sell jackets/coats without back protectors? I visited a bike clothing store this morning, just to be nosey. There were a few jackets that didn't come with back protectors. These were not cheap items. A couple was over £2000GBP for a full set(Top and Bottoms). I asked the salesperson if they came with the protectors and was told no, you have to purchase them separately. If am paying that sort of money i don't want to be paying out another £50-£70 more for a back protector. Oxford products do the same. People are buying these garments as protective clothing but with a missing piece, it can't be classed as a full protective item to me.
Also as CE clothing it is classed as a piece of PPE. But unlike a Helmet, clothing is not VAT free.
The EU is trying to pass a new piece of regulation on CE approve motorcycling gear. This regulation will mean that every piece of your kit must be CE stamped and without this label, You will be breaking the law. I can see insurance companies jumping on this to reduce claims payouts.

Moan over
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Old Foxy
Subscriber
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Re: Back protectors moan

Post by Old Foxy »

Fully agree with you, but if they included the back protector, they'd just up the price by £100 anyway.

I guess having CE-approved clothing is no different to what we have had for years with helmets. As long as we can still ride free, then I'm not going to get too fussed. What we really need is some decent weather and salt-free roads, sans potholes!

Old Foxy
60Aviator
Bike Model and Year: 2017 GSA & 2021 R1250RT
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by 60Aviator »

Nice to have that as an option. There are air bag vests that have back protectors so you don't need one in the jacket. Plus some of them have a lower level of protection and you end up buying a better one anyway.
“I’d rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred poopheads” Charlie Beckwith
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Doctor T wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:02 pm Why is it that some companies sell jackets/coats without back protectors? I visited a bike clothing store this morning, just to be nosey. There were a few jackets that didn't come with back protectors. These were not cheap items. A couple was over £2000GBP for a full set(Top and Bottoms). I asked the salesperson if they came with the protectors and was told no, you have to purchase them separately. If am paying that sort of money i don't want to be paying out another £50-£70 more for a back protector. Oxford products do the same. People are buying these garments as protective clothing but with a missing piece, it can't be classed as a full protective item to me.
Also as CE clothing it is classed as a piece of PPE. But unlike a Helmet, clothing is not VAT free.
The EU is trying to pass a new piece of regulation on CE approve motorcycling gear. This regulation will mean that every piece of your kit must be CE stamped and without this label, You will be breaking the law. I can see insurance companies jumping on this to reduce claims payouts.

Moan over
I would consider the back protector being included as part of the negotiation over the price, especially on a 2k suit.
The sales person may say no to a casual enquiry but when you put your credit card on the counter things change.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

MikeS wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:16 pm I would consider the back protector being included as part of the negotiation over the price, especially on a 2k suit.
The sales person may say no to a casual enquiry but when you put your credit card on the counter things change.
I called them up asking all questions about the coat. I asked if the had my fat git size in stock and they said they would have to order i from the manufacturer. Again i asked if all the amour was included and again got the same answer. No, but they have a choice of 3 that will fit the jacket.
I looked on the site of the manufacturer and it states no back protector is included.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 54 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

When I bought an Air Vest last year I took the protector out of my jacket. Too many layers and the vest provided vastly superior protection anyway. If I bought a new jacket ow, part of me says, why should I pay for something I neither want or will use. However I do agree with the principle of, if it's sold as motorcycle equipment then it should be rated as 'safety equipment' and therefore it needs to be CE approved, and if that means it is supplied with the necessary protectors, so be it.