Swing arm 'spacers'?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
r12newb
Bike Model and Year: 2013 R1200RT
Canada

Swing arm 'spacers'?

Post by r12newb »

Hi all,
I was performing some different service work on my 2013 R12RT. This required the removal of the swing arm. I followed a Haynes manual (for RT's up to 2009). Additionally, I thought I took enough pics of the teardown..... But upon reinstall / reassembly of the subframe, swing arm, rear shock, and final drive I was left with what I believe are a couple of spacers or washers or dust protectors.
The only place I can think of they came from is between the subframe and the swing arm pivot points as the inner holes on the spacers 'appear' to be the same diameter as the both pivot pins in the swing arm (going by memory as I'm not taking it apart to confirm) and there appears to be the narrowest of gaps that these spacers could have filled in after I did the reinstall (preloaded and torqued to spec). I can get pics and dimensions if need be to show. I just don't recall them falling out when I removed the swing arm.
Manual doesn't reference these spacers at all. OEM fiche shows no washers in swing arm or rear frame diagrams.
One spacer/washer has about a 12/13mm inner diameter, about 30mm outer, is very thin, (less that a mm thick?), and appears to be plastic. The other, similar inner diameter, only about 20mm outer, 2mm thick, and appears to be neoprene or rubbery foamy material.

Any thoughts anybody? Couple queries:
1) Something added to later models RTs; 2010 to 2013.
2) If they are as I suspect; spacers and/or dust protectors for the swing arm/frame gap, are they critical?
3) If not for the swing arm, any thoughts where?

Anybody done a swing arm removal on a similar year RT care to comment?

Thanks.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Swing arm 'spacers'?

Post by David. »

r12newb wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:22 pmI can get pics and dimensions if need be to show.
That might be helpful.
r12newb wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:22 pmOEM fiche shows no washers in swing arm or rear frame diagrams.
Have a look at 33-Rear Axle & Suspension, https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsM ... d=09082020
r12newb
Canada

Post by r12newb »

Thanks David. Here are some pics of my spacers. I now believe the rubber spacer is the original one from the fuel tank mounting bolt. Earlier in the rebuild I recall removing the tank and then finding out some of these spacers were missing. I ordered new ones. Turns out it likely fell into the bike and only got dislodged when I did the subframe removal/swap.
rubberspacer.jpg
rubberspacer.jpg (181.24 KiB) Viewed 155 times
rubberspacer2.jpg
rubberspacer2.jpg (188.01 KiB) Viewed 155 times
spacer.jpg
spacer.jpg (179.17 KiB) Viewed 155 times
spacer2.jpg
spacer2.jpg (154.93 KiB) Viewed 155 times
However the plastic spacer continues to perplex. David, thanks for the link to MAX BMW. I've used MAX's fiche in the past and then switched to a Cdn sourced fiche as I wanted the Cdn pricing. I like that MAX put in colored pics of parts and in the case of washer, spaces, bushings, etc, they put in tape measurements. I may scroll through and see what I find out about my mystery spacer.
r12newb
Canada

Post by r12newb »

Here's a pic of the teardown to get the subframe out...
R12RTteardown.jpg
R12RTteardown.jpg (432.08 KiB) Viewed 154 times