General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
trichef1

Post by trichef1 »

I'm new to the forum and getting ready to trade in the Harley on a 2015 r1200rt. I'm looking for advice on options and packages offered. Most bikes at the dealership are fully loaded and I'm curious about which options you all think are worth the money and which ones you think should/could be omitted. [size=78%]I'm waiting for the dealership to get in a low seat for me to demo before making my final decision. I'm 5' 5 inches with a 29inch inseam so I'm a little concerned about being able to get both feet flat onto the ground. Are there any aftermarket seats that will put you lower than the BMW low seat?[/size]
[size=78%]Looking forward to my new bike and hearing all your input on seats and options[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]Thank you[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Newbie

Post by beemerbaz »

Hi and welcome. Personally I am a bit of a gadget man and when I ordered mine last year I opted for all options except for the alarm and radio but with hindsight I should have taken the full package. I think most dealer bikes that are demonstrators have the full package to allow you to judge what is for you and what isn't. My advice is get the lot !!
I can't advise on aftermarket seats for the 2015 bike but the comfort seat on the 2013 bike is slightly lower but understand this will not fit on the 2015 bike, maybe someone on here will be better able to comment. 

Please post some pictures when you get your new bike and well done for moving to BMW [emoji106]

Baz.
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi trichef1 ,  and welcome to the `Forum',  check out the  `Seat Height Configurator 'on the Motorrad Site , just follow this Link. 

http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/uk/en/ind ... rview.html

Regards,
Steve      8)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Welcome to the world of BMW.  I agree with beemerbaz, get the lot.  The only option I haven't got is the radio/audio unit.  Its the most expensive option and if you are not the type that wants constant music an extravagant one. With a BMW Nav V fitted and some Bluetooth you can have music.   
I am a short 5'7" with a 29" inside leg. The low seat option is just about right and I Don't suffer from cramped knees even in longish trips.  I don't think you will find anyboby makes after market ones yet. The low seat is a no cost option on a new bike.   
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Only you can decide whats right for you but here's my opinion. I looked at fully loaded first and then decided what on that list I could do without. From this I decided my best plan was the SE model with Dynamic Pack plus chrome exhaust, cylinder head guards, high seat ( I'm 6ft 1in ) and the Ventura shield paint protection.

What I felt I could do without was the expensive audio, central locking, keyless ignition and alarm. Gear shift I was on the fence about and decided I could let that one go too. Those who have gear shift love it but as I do not have it I cannot say I'm missing it. If I do it can be retro fitted.

Hill start I originally thought was a gimmick but have changed my mind. If you ride with a pillion and fully loaded hill start is very useful. When the bikes loaded its good to have both feet on the ground. However when I'm riding on my own I don't use it.

Cylinder head guards I prefer over crash bars but thats just me, anything is better than nothing if you drop the bike.

Ventura Shield paint protection I really like. Its totally clear and the full kit covers everything from headlight, paintwork and tops of panniers ( these are very easily marked with boots getting on / off the bike if your not careful).

The other must have for me is the Avant Front mudguard extender nicely engineered and keeps the muck off the front of the engine.

Have fun deciding  ;D

Last edited by Levisp on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just remembered the keyless option.  I had it on a 1600 Exclusive.  In my opinion its a bit of junk, stay well clear. On the RT it looks like an afterthought as it sits high up.  Like Levisp just fitted the BMW engine guards and a front fender exterder .  They will do the job in a drop. If your moving nothing helps really.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Hi Trichef1 some really good advice! But unlike Levisp I prefer protection bars over cylinder head protection. It's all a matter of choice. Best of luck.