Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

1200RT sidelights stay on

Post by Nick Evans »

Hello all, first post and all that.
I have a 2009 1200RT. When I switch the ignition off the sidelight (running lights whatever you call them, the little 5W jobs next to the headlights) remain on. I had a couple of flat batteries before I realised what was happening, now I have taken to unplugging the headlamp cluster after each ride. I have had the tank off to look at the connection to the ZFE, I can see the voltage on the appropriate pins so I know where the voltage is coming from (as opposed to a short in the cable downstream from the computer).

I was wondering if anyone else has come across this? The rear lights do not come on until the engine starts, it is only the sidelights. It is not a big deal but I don't want to keep unplugging the lights as I will eventually damage either the connector or the wiring going in to the connector, plus it will allow moisture to get into the headlight eventually. I don't have any plug in diagnostic kit but I suspect that wont help anyway. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks all.
Beagle

Re: 1200RT sidelights stay on

Post by Beagle »

Nick Evans wrote: Hello all, first post and all that.
I have a 2009 1200RT. When I switch the ignition off the sidelight (running lights whatever you call them, the little 5W jobs next to the headlights) remain on. I had a couple of flat batteries before I realised what was happening, now I have taken to unplugging the headlamp cluster after each ride. I have had the tank off to look at the connection to the ZFE, I can see the voltage on the appropriate pins so I know where the voltage is coming from (as opposed to a short in the cable downstream from the computer).

I was wondering if anyone else has come across this? The rear lights do not come on until the engine starts, it is only the sidelights. It is not a big deal but I don't want to keep unplugging the lights as I will eventually damage either the connector or the wiring going in to the connector, plus it will allow moisture to get into the headlight eventually. I don't have any plug in diagnostic kit but I suspect that wont help anyway. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks all.

Are they acting as parking lights and does this help.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/83397 ... ml?page=58
Nick Evans
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

Hi, thanks for the reply, no it is not that function, they do it anyway, and are always on while the headlamps are plugged in.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

Have you tried a 'reboot' - disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so? Other than that, I'd say it could be the ignition switch at fault - on my '05, as soon as the ignition's turned on, the sidelights come on, followed by headlights once the engine's running. Logic - hah! - says that the ignition switch isn't switching off properly. Try a squirt of contact cleaner in there perhaps?

Pete
Last edited by milleplod on Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Evans
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

I tried this before I thought about it (unfortunately). The sidelights are supposed to come on when the ignition is switched on, with the headlights only sparking up when the engine is running.

Does anyone know what sort of lubricant I can shove in the ignition? it is a bit stiff now . Ooops
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Nick Evans wrote: I tried this before I thought about it (unfortunately). The sidelights are supposed to come on when the ignition is switched on, with the headlights only sparking up when the engine is running.

Does anyone know what sort of lubricant I can shove in the ignition? it is a bit stiff now . Ooops

I use this. Dont like wd40 as it makes plastic brittle.

https://refinishsystems.com/product/gt8 ... gIGOfD_BwE
Matchless56
Bike Model and Year: R1200 RT SE 2009
Great Britain

Post by Matchless56 »

Hi
Did you ever get a fix for this problem?
My 2009 R1200RT SE does the same.
Sometimes it works perfectly and other times the front 5w sidelights come on intermittently with the key removed.
I've checked fault codes (none), changed bulbs, checked harness and found the current supply is from the ZFE.
The rear light is not affected.
Has anyone else suffered the same issue?
Nick Evans
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

I never found an actual solution, however it did go away after many years, when I got the bits together to fit a relay into the sidelight wiring. I then got rid of the bike when the fuel strip went again, I have a 2018 RT now.

It was definitely a fault of the ZFE module, I could meter the voltage off the pins of the module, and swapping the ZFE for a second hand module took the fault away. Sadly I could not use the second hand module because it was from a non ESA bike and I could not reprogramme the module.

Sorry I cant help any more than that, btw my plan was to chop into the positive feed for the satnav to get a feed for teh control side of the relay, and obviously cut the sidelight circuit and bridge it with the power side of the relay. Dont know if it would work and I was not looking forward to cutting into the loom even though I am competent with a soldering iron and wiring generally.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

When you turn the bike on, only the side and tail light bulbs illuminate. When you turn the bike off the side lights will stay on unless you turn the key off position. If you don't fully turn the ignition off( Key position where you can pull the key out) the side lamps will remain on. You can remove your key and leave the side lamps on( bit like the ACC position on car ignitions) and on the next notch( just before the steering lock) you can also remove the key without leaving any lamps on.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Nick Evans
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

All of the above is true when there is no fault. When there was a fault, the lights stayed on. When I finally got a GS-911, it said the lights were off, when they were on. Swapping the ZFE removed the fault, and the lights behaved as they should do. Reading further up in the post the parking light option has already been discussed. Not user error, fault with bike.
Matchless56
Bike Model and Year: R1200 RT SE 2009
Great Britain

Post by Matchless56 »

Thanks for the update Nick.
I too have had the tank off and the sidelights feed is from the ZFE.
I'm fitting a switch on the dash to isolate the sidelights when the bike is turned off.
The fault started intermittently but now the sidelights stay on permanently.
Your 09 wasn't silver reg LM09 PGK by any chance ? :-)