General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Hi all I am a new BMW owner picked up my BMW1200rt a few months ago his name is "Arty" he is asleep in the hall of my house at the moment to the displeasure of my missus, hey ho! 

I have come over from the dark side of Triumph and had several great trouble free years with the Tigers great bike.  However I had always dreamed of owning a BMW so let's hope it lives up to my expectations. I had a company BMW car and was not disappointed. I have worked for BMW and the effort put into building their cars so! Here I am.

I have just finished a contract in the UK and now back home in France where it is frosted over but the sky looks promising?
stelyn

Re: Newbie

Post by stelyn »

Hi Spencert231 and welcome,  enjoy both your new 'toy' and this forum'.  Post a photo of your Bike when you get a chance,]
Regards,    8)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Welcome.  You got it in the hall. If only.  Used to do that with a tandem but wouldn't dare suggest it with the RT. Well done.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

RTman10 wrote: Welcome.  You got it in the hall. If only.  Used to do that with a tandem but wouldn't dare suggest it with the RT. Well done.
His wife should be pleased really,  having it stored conveniently in the hall,  saves her going outside to the Garage to clean and polish it......    ;)
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

RTman10 wrote: Welcome.  You got it in the hall. If only.  Used to do that with a tandem but wouldn't dare suggest it with the RT. Well done.
Leaving the Bike in the Hall is pretty mild to this  `devoted biker '

Last edited by stelyn on Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Post by beemerbaz »

I don't have a garage so paid £900 for a delivery of wood and built a custom shed !

Surprising how it fills up !

Last edited by beemerbaz on Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Real neat job, just what I need.  Was it easy to build and did you have a plan to work to or just relied on DIY skills.  I may well try and do similar when this weather improves, once again `neat job'... 8)
beemerbaz

Post by beemerbaz »

I had a K16 owner friend who is a carpenter and who works for food provided I was his labourer. Took 2 days to build and its snug enough for me to move into should the wife nag too much :-)
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Ahh, a `Carpenter friend'  that explains the neat looking job...  still might give it a try though.  8)
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

beemerbaz wrote: I had a K16 owner friend who is a carpenter and who works for food provided I was his labourer. Took 2 days to build and its snug enough for me to move into should the wife nag too much :-)
Oh to have the "artisan" skills of a good carpenter that looks like a great job. When I get a moment I will post a pic of the crap shed I paid £1000 for last year. Yours is much better quality.

A word of advice treat the wood with some form of mould resistant product otherwise stuff end up getting mould over it, I know I was that soldier. A great looking harbour for the bike.
beemerbaz

Post by beemerbaz »

This photo was taken before the varnish was applied, the rest of the wood out of view is coated with a waterproof wood stain.

Regarding the mould, the shed is heated [emoji106]
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

beemerbaz wrote: This photo was taken before the varnish was applied, the rest of the wood out of view is coated with a waterproof wood stain.

Regarding the mould, the shed is heated Image
Top Man you have sussed  8)
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Beermerbaz,  If missus nags too much, move her into shed and bike into living room  Sorted
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Nice shed...

:D :D
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

richardbd wrote: Nice shed...
:D :D
I have shed that I would not put my chickens in and cost about the same amount of money, but it is probably one of the worst buys I have made here in France. Come to think about it I have squandered a "shedfull" (excuse the pun) with so called artisans (mostly Brits) who say they can do a job and....... However, I digres question is: anybody with a better shed?