ABS red warning light coming on intermittently

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: ABS red warning light coming on intermittently

Post by David. »

Marvin2Shoes wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:06 pmI managed to find a business in Sydney that may rebuild our later Camhead ABS units. I have emailed them.
Can they fix pressure sensor faults, Module Master say that they can't, https://modulemaster.com/products/iabs2 ... 1200rt-k26

Known issues we are unable to fix:

Pressure sensor faults
Marvin2Shoes
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011 MOD
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 17 times
Australia

Post by Marvin2Shoes »

Time to buy a canbus development module for my raspberry pi. I will figure out what codes come out of the ABS, i will write a bit of code to simulate ABS CAN data and parse speed etc to instruments so the brake light isn't turned on permanently and the cruise control will work. After this is achieved I will throw the heavy piece of ABS junk in the bin. Nothing should be this difficult to fix. BMW = APPLE= NO RIGHT TO REPAIR.
Last edited by Marvin2Shoes on Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 R1200RT Highly Modified
Marvin2Shoes
Australia

Post by Marvin2Shoes »

David. wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:20 pm Can they fix pressure sensor faults, Module Master say that they can't, https://modulemaster.com/products/iabs2 ... 1200rt-k26

Known issues we are unable to fix:

Pressure sensor faults
Just got word back from ATE ABS manufacturer... All spare parts are only available through BMW. Only they aren't.
BMW has left me no choice... Full CAN bus decoding and methodology to workaround the ZFE nonsense that BMW is using to hold end-users to ransom for non-servicable components THAT SHOULD BE SERVICABLE.
I am making a promise to even the BMW owners who are unable, for whatever reason, to see how much they are being screwed over. I will apply every waking hour to expose every possible secret about the support systems of bmw motorcycles so all owners have access to vital information free of charge! WATCH THIS SPACE.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Unfortunately this is the norm with the majority of manufacturers these days!

Throw it away and replace it is their solution

I would bet money on that another abs pump uses the same parts but it's just finding out which ones
Marvin2Shoes
Australia

Post by Marvin2Shoes »

That would be a very useful thing to know indeed.
We would need someone friendly in the industry who isn't currently making money from keeping that knowledge an industry secret.
I went to BMW today and they gave me the price of the ABS unit at AU$3030.15 + installation labour. I doubt I would get much change from $4000.
It looks like I'm going to have to decode the CAN bus on my ABS while it is working to bypass ZFE errors and thus allow use of the cruise control after I pull the ABS unit from the bike. I can't have unreliable components on my 3200km trips and I am planning a trip to Melbourne soon (2490km/1556 miles). A trip a motorcycle with 48000km on the odometer should be able to complete.