Disabled riders

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Disabled riders

Post by Doctor T »

How many riders/owners on the forum are classed as disabled? It would be nice to know am not the only one on here. I have mobility problems in my legs and right hand.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Re: Disabled riders

Post by burridge01 »

I'm not yet but possibly on my way.Already been told by orthopaedics at the Royal London I won't be going back to my old job and possibly retired at 56.Already looking at the NABD site in case I need a modification to the RT.One that immediately springs to mind is having the side stand changed to the other side as I think I'm going to struggle pivoting on my left leg.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

burridge01 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:52 am I'm not yet but possibly on my way.Already been told by orthopaedics at the Royal London I won't be going back to my old job and possibly retired at 56.Already looking at the NABD site in case I need a modification to the RT.One that immediately springs to mind is having the side stand changed to the other side as I think I'm going to struggle pivoting on my left leg.

Really sorry to hear that mate…
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I can only mount my bike by standing on the footpegs. I look at people on GS bikes just swinging their legs over with panniers and top boxes with ease, makes me really jealous.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Doctor T wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:28 pm I can only mount my bike by standing on the footpegs. I look at people on GS bikes just swinging their legs over with panniers and top boxes with ease, makes me really jealous.
But it's subjective!

Someone in a wheelchair may look at you and feel the same

Be thankful that you can do the things you enjoy :thumb:
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I do have a wheelchair as i cant walk far. Am just greatfull i can still ride a bike.
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

I’m classed as disabled, diagnosed with ME in 2009, hasn’t really affected me of late. I just feel tired now and again, after long rides I do feel it though.