Caveat emptor Chinese products

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Caveat emptor Chinese products

Post by jackronner »

I just got ripped off by Lookie Store through AliExpress. Ordered front and back crash bars, as advertised as a package, and they only sent the front, then said I'd only ordered the front and would have to buy the rear separately, bringing the price to well over $400, while it seemed $217 was the total for both front and rear. Each item carries shipping cost from China of $150, so I don't know if I'll get that back. I'll let you know how the refund process turns out, but stay away from this particular seller. Further, the bolts attaching to the engine block are M5's, and to the oil pan are M8's. I don't know if they would even withstand a static fall without snapping off.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Re: Caveat emptor Chinese products

Post by burridge01 »

You did pay by credit card didn't you. Claim it all back as nof fit for purpose and let them deal with it,job done.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Burridge01, I could dispute through the credit card route, but I may get the rear bars free and not have to deal with the return process andd finding another seller. If I understand them correctly, AliExpress (sorta like Amazon) has sided with me in the “item missing" dispute I initiated, and I would get back all of my money upon their return (even the $150 delivery charge) and return postage would be pre-paid. They alternately proposed a $108 refund to me, plus I think I would get to keep the front bars I have. I countered that they should ask the seller just to send me the rear bars they had advertised free of any cost, including shipping, and keep the $108. Probably cheaper for them. The sellers were total cheats. They said that they couldn't send front and rear in the same package because it became too expensive, and insisted it had to be two packages at $150 apiece for shipping, and then said that shipping by sea (which I offered) was more expensive than shipping by air! It sounds like Dr. T found a reputable Chinese company and got all the bars for a comparable price. I don't know if I'll be dealing with China in the future, though,
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Just an update, and some advice regarding installation. I got a significant discount after disputing the sale, but when I went to put on the front bars (I decided not to get the rears) it seemed that the bolt holes of the engine guards did not line up at all with the holes on the bottom center piece which attaches under the oil pan. I was considering taking a torch and bending the heated metal to fit. But I had one more to go at it and realized that the upper piece that attaches to the engine block, and into which the engine guards are slotted on either side, could be rotated up and down, which allowed the bottom holes to roughly align. So the lesson is: don't tighten the engine block bolts initially so that you can raise or lower it to achieve alignment. Mind you, on the frontmost bottom tab of the engine guards which attach to the oil pan piece, one of the two tandem holes was placed to within perhaps 2 mm of the tab's leading edge, making for an extremely weak attachment. But, since the bars are really only serviceable for tip overs, not a moving crash, I suppose that the second, properly placed, hole will provide sufficient strength. I do suggest that you inspect your bars before attaching them so that you can request a replacement.

Also, the curved bars that protect the cylinder head on the right side, only project about 3/4 of an inch beyond the cylinder head. On the left side, they projected out an inch. I decided to place an old set of highway pegs (which I don't plan on using for their intended purpose) to provide a bit more lateral extension past the cylinder head, for some increased protection
Jggpossum
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

In reality, all crash bars, even expensive Wunderlich, are only useful for static or very low speed falls, so installing cheaper Chinese rip-offs shouldn't make much difference in that regard. But where I have learnt to be very cautious is using Ali Parts where the item will be subjected to significant stress, and the quality of the steel or alloy is critical. For example where a crash bar install requires replacing a BMW engine mount bolt with an Ali Express bolt I have reservations. Some bolts need to be torqued to 60Nm which is a lot. It can become very expensive if one of these shears off either during install or under accident load.

When it comes to more cosmetic accessories I think Ali is terrific value, and I have never had a bad experience after more than 20 purchases.