General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Fog lamp

Post by Doctor T »

What are your thoughts regarding fitting a rear fog lamp?. It gets really foggy and sea mist around here. My R80rt ex-police bike had one fitted.
I'm always worried about riding in fog on motorways.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Re: Fog lamp

Post by sakm »

Can't put a price on safety so why not
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I fitted one to my previous Pan, it was an LED
lamp from an emergency services supplier. Small and very bright with a number of pattern options.

https://responsevehiclelighting.co.uk/r ... white.html

My RT has the oddly named Billie rear lamp from Clearwater, adjustable for brightness and also serves as an additional brake light if I want.
Denali do an LED rear light too.
I think I have a Halfords one somewhere in the garage, but it is rather utilitarian and not LED.
Last edited by Steve398 on Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excellence
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2021
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by Excellence »

Both my Pans were fitted with rear fog lamps even though up here we rarely suffer fog. At the coast we do experience the haar and that really made its presence felt yesterday just south of Aberdeen. I haven't yet fitted the same unit I removed from the last Pan onto the RT but it will be happening very soon - the switch and cabling are already in place.
RFG can be fitted to be unobtrusive yet powerful enough to do the job should they be needed.
On something like this and IMHO I believe the question should be "why not" rather than "why".
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Steve398 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:52 pm I fitted one to my previous Pan, it was an LED
lamp from an emergency services supplier. Small and very bright with a number of pattern options.

https://responsevehiclelighting.co.uk/r ... white.html

My RT has the oddly named Billie rear lamp from Clearwater, adjustable for brightness and also serves ss an additional brake light if I want.
Denali do an LED rear light too.
I think I have a Halfords one somewhere in the garage, but it is rather utilitarian and not LED.
I saw the same as in the video. Exactly the same from eBay £4.99. You can guess where they come from
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.