My tips for avoiding Bum Burn

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

My tips for avoiding Bum Burn

Post by Doctor T »

Here are my tips for avoiding Bum Burn on long rides. Firstly It is important to remember that numbness and tingling is actually an injury.
Nonetheless. It occurs when the nerves have been jostled about or compressed enough to stop working properly. And like other injuries, it will often get worse.
Avoid any garment with stitched seams around the rear end area. Don't wear underwear with seams. Don't wear any trousers with rear pockets. Seams in clothing cause most of the burning or pain.
Purchasing motorcycling trousers without rear pockets is harder to track down if you're looking for one's in the Jeans style. A better bet is the cargo trousers. These mostly have inside flap pockets. The same goes for leather trousers. Fewer seams in the bum area = longer miles in the saddle. If you can keep cool around the bottom area this will help as well. On long rides, cycling shorts are also good at keeping you cool. These are breathable and have padding around the couch area. The Gel padded ones are the best type to wear. Again avoid the ones with seams. Tight fitting trousers make the dreaded bum burn worse.
Try to shift my weight to your feet, and move around the seat
RT has a more upright seating position. Try sitting in a little more "sporty" position. By this, I mean shifting your weight forward from the hips and balls of your feet on the pegs.
Hope the tips that help me on long runs can help you on your next long trip.
numb-or-sore-bum.jpeg
numb-or-sore-bum.jpeg (92.95 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Re: My tips for avoiding Bum Burn

Post by sakm »

My tip is to turn the heated seat down!

Mine burns my ass after a while

Its never my ass that suffers its my legs just underneath which is where my seat digs in
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Well said that man :thumb: I’ve always likened the dreaded butt burn to be like sitting on red hot chicken wire, excruciating.
David and Sally
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by David and Sally »

I have had good results from an AirRider seat. £99 and gives me about twice the saddle time.

https://airrideronline.com/
60Aviator
Bike Model and Year: 2017 GSA & 2021 R1250RT
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by 60Aviator »

LD Comfort is good to try as a base layer.
https://ldcomfort.com/products/mens-riding-shorts
“I’d rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred poopheads” Charlie Beckwith
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

60Aviator wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:06 pm LD Comfort is good to try as a base layer.
https://ldcomfort.com/products/mens-riding-shorts
I bought a pair of LD shorts years ago, I think with post and charges from the USA they were about £50 :shock:
They are good, though I thought they’d closed when he retired?

TBH I think that the standard seats on touring bikes are abysmal, otherwise why would a company offer ‘comfort seats’ as an accessory?
I’ve bought Sargent seats for both the Pan and the RT.