ABS Modulator issue

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
R1200rtPete

ABS Modulator issue

Post by R1200rtPete »

Hi there. I'm new to this forum. I have a r1200rt  on a 2006 plate. I have the dreaded abs problem. I have done extensive testing on the modulator and come to the conclusion that the rear side of the circuit board is faulty. Anyone know where I can buy a new circuit board or get mine repair.
Peter
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: ABS Modulator issue

Post by David. »

If you are not successful in getting a new circuit board or yours repaired, would a used unit be any help.

Looks like Motorworks sell used ABS Modulators (subject to availability & condition) with some sort of warranty:-
http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/ ... 0_35_HA_70
Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R1200rtPete

Post by R1200rtPete »

Hi dayglo  david.
Thanks for your reply. I have checked out motorworks but still the price is quite high £500 for a recon unit. Ideally a new board would be the cheapest way. Thanks for your help and if you have any other leads or thoughts in the future I would be most grateful.
Ps. Would you happen to know anyone that re conditions these units in the UK because I could get a new from them.
Cheers
Happy new year
Pete
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sorry Pete, don't think I can be of any further help with this one.
R1200rtPete

Post by R1200rtPete »

No worries. Thanks for your previous info.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Why dont you have a look at BMWs Real OEM site.  It wont give you prices but it will show what is available new.  Having spent some years at a dealership I can only remember bringing in completed units. With your bike having servo brakes I think your search might be a difficulty one as they have been out of production for 8 years..
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This link can be used to download a BMW Electronic Parts Catalogue, it may be some help.
http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/inde ... _main.html

A&S BMW Motorcycles Parts Catalogue is only showing the Modulator as a complete unit, which one is yours.
http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_cat ... =Brakes#34

Pressure modulator Integral ABS

Pressure modulator I-ABS Generation 2

Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
R1200rtPete

Post by R1200rtPete »

Hi dave.

Thanks for your response.
I have the top one the abs III system. I do have some leads now to find the board. I could just buy a complete unit but still you don't really know what you're buying and how good of condition it is. Trust me to buy a bike with the old system. The issue I have is that I know it's only the circuit board as I have tested all the hydraulic side (fine) and the electrical side on the pump it self  ie: motors switches etc are all fine. Someone has made this part initially also you can get these pumps reconditioned so you must be able to get the board. I'll have a look at the link that was sent to me and see if that is of some help.
Thanks for responding though. I'll keep you guys in touch with my findings and I will post pictures etc of the pump and how to service it as it's dead easy.
Speak soon
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Post by beemerbaz »

Correct me if I am wrong, but is it an option to carry out an ABSectomy and just run with normal brakes ? I have heard of this being done at a fraction of the cost.
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

beemerbaz wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, but is it an option to carry out an ABSectomy and just run with normal brakes ? I have heard of this being done at a fraction of the cost.
Unfortunately on the servo version's no ABS pump means residual braking (bugger all) only.
R1200rtPete

Post by R1200rtPete »

Hi there. Yes I can. Motorworks supply a kit to reverse to a standard breaking system but I want the abs. I have a bike with that system and don't really want to lose it.
R1200rtPete

Post by R1200rtPete »

Hi there. Yes I can. Motorworks supply a kit to reverse to a standard breaking system but I want the abs. I have a bike with that system and don't really want to lose it.
R1200rtPete

Post by R1200rtPete »

The thing is I do still have some residual braking in the rear brake but the front hasn't been affected at all. Full braking. I might not have abs to the front but I have braking.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Interesting that your front brake has full power.  Do you still get the servo pump noise when you pull the lever and have you had the problem diagnosed at a BMW dealer ?
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waratah

Post by Waratah »

beemerbaz wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, but is it an option to carry out an ABSectomy and just run with normal brakes ? I have heard of this being done at a fraction of the cost.
"Re-plumbing" an ABS brake setup back to a conventional system shouldn't be a big problem and, after following the "BMW ABS Modulator Saga" for six or seven years, I have read where this isn't unusual in some countries and/or states (some brake repair companies advertise).  But please be careful with the legalities.  I have read on some forums that different countries/states have different regulations.  I know that in my country, the Australian Design Rules (the dreaded ADRs) are very strict on "correct ABS operation with respect to the make and model of vehicle originally being passed for import".  Re-plumbing an ABS setup back to a conventional system is a big no-no in Australia - and worse - selling a vehicle with an altered ABS setup could land the vendor in a lot of trouble.  Insurance coverage could be a problem in the event of an incident, if the ABS has been bypassed to a conventional braking system.

I regard the entire BMW ABS debacle as a thorough PITA.

Just my AUD $0.02 worth (which equals GBP 0.0106 on today's exchange rate). :-\
Last edited by Waratah on Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 R1200RT, 1994 R100LT and 1988 R100RS