Speedo needle bouncing

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Marvin2Shoes
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011 MOD
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 17 times
Australia

Speedo needle bouncing

Post by Marvin2Shoes »

Hi all, another issue popped up recently. I am beginning to be beset by faults. I have checked wiring and cleaned like a crazy person and even replaced the rear wheel speed/ABS sensor but the pointer on the speedometer starts bouncing once the bike goes over 40kph. If I'm doing 60kph it will flick down to 40/45 and jump back up to 60 again. It never stops working but it is just annoying. I mostly use a hud app on my phone for speed so it's not really a big issue but it could be the start of a bigger problem. It also means that I don't feel confident riding long distances... The reason I purchased this bike in the first place. This issue, like the intermittent ABS warninglight, cancels the cruise control so it has also become useless... cruise control was another reason I purchased this bike as it is great on long distance trips. I am going to start looking for unterminated CAN bus wiring. Anyone have any other ideas? I am thinking alternator but after I checked the ridiculous price of the spare part I realised more testing would need to be carried out rather than just installing a new unit.
2011 R1200RT Highly Modified
resipsa121
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2019
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Re: Speedo needle bouncing

Post by resipsa121 »

I may be saying something you have thought of and already addressed.

But, a few things come to mind even despite your cleaning 1) dirty or bent pins / connectors 2) a shorting ground 3) former owner did something hinky when wiring in an accessory.

Good luck and let us know.