So why are RTps and our fleet civilian RTs included :lol:
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Re: BMW driveshaft recall/problems & preventative maintenance

Post by Doctor T »

When i greased my UJs and on refitting, i noticed a molded hole on the underside of the rubber boot. I took the boot off to check and indeed you could see it was in the mold. It was filled with grease so i just cleaned the hole out. The Cardan unit was replaced due to the UJ's braking. New rubber boots at each end two years ago by BMW north Oxford. Not sure if this was an upgrade fix or just as they are i don't know what the one was like before they changed it.
It is nice to have a fully documented service history. Must have been owned by an older chap as i have lists of when bulbs and MPG changed with dates and mileage.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
detroitboy
Bike Model and Year: 1200rt 2016
Been liked: 1 time
Ireland

Re: BMW driveshaft recall/problems & preventative maintenance

Post by detroitboy »

My 2016 1200RT had a shaft failure this past summer. A needle bearing in the u joint failed at speed on the interstate. 51000 miles. Complete shaft assembly replaced by my dealer, and reimbursed by bmw n America. The dealer backed me up as I am original owner and all maintenance was documented.