General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Glacial
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2011
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Are RT and GS downpipes the same?

Post by Glacial »

The downpipes on my 2011 RT are in a sorry state and have clearly received no TLC in their life. I plan to sand and polish to restore them but if that doesn’t work, there is the option of secondhand ones in far better shape.

Thing is that the best condition ones I have seen have been from a cam head GS and the part number is one digit different from the RT part. So my question to the experts is are the GS and RT downpipes interchangeable? I’m thinking that the outlet may be at a slightly different angle to get the GS exhaust to a higher angle from the horizontal compared to the RT.

Anyone know this or happen to have on of each that they can compare?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Are RT and GS downpipes the same?

Post by David. »

Glacial wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:01 pmThe best condition ones I have seen, have been from a Camhead GS and the part number is one digit different from the RT part.
So my question to the experts is are the GS and RT downpipes interchangeable.
Don't think so, putting the RT part number into RealOEM only lists fitment for the RT and R models not GS.

The other part number only lists the GS.
Last edited by David. on Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Glacial wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:01 pmThe downpipes on my 2011 RT are in a sorry state and have clearly received no TLC in their life. I plan to sand and polish to restore them but if that doesn’t work, there is the option of secondhand ones in far better shape.
Would getting the original downpipes ceramic coated be an alternative option. I did look into this myself but managed to restore them to an acceptable standard. If they deteriorate badly, I would certainly consider ceramic coating.

This is Simbo's bike.

They were done by Camcoat, https://www.camcoat.com/ in 2020, I was quoted £230 + VAT and carriage.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Is ceramic coating expensive? Powder coating down here has more than doubled in price.
Skip that just seen the price
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.