ABS Modulator issue

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
guest2360

Re: ABS Modulator issue

Post by guest2360 »

I am reliably informed that in the UK non functioning ABS would not be an MOT failure. As long as the bike can pass the brake test that's all that matters. On a car it would be a failure. 
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

For everyday riding circumstances.......From the DVSA Catogorisation of defects book,
Defect - Any component forming part of an antilock braking system missing/damaged/disconnected,
Severity - Such that the ABS system is rendered inoperative or spurious signals are given
Action - delayed prohibition

So it would be recognised as a defect but DVSA (VOSA of old) would give a delayed prohibition requiring it to be fixed. The Police cannot give delayed prohibitions though!

Last edited by 7vwh on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Apparently not on motorcycles.  If the system is disconnected even if the bike dash still has the warning light flashing if it passes the rolling road brake test it gets an MOT pass. 
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Aye, seems strange that it can pass an MOT, but still be classed as a defect. A bit like tinted windows.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

7vwh wrote: Aye, seems strange that it can pass an MOT, but still be classed as a defect. A bit like tinted windows.
I think ABS systems on motorcycles are not included in components tested in the MOT test.
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Ahh now I get you, the only note I have in my MOT manual is "[size=small]The vehicle presenter must be advised[/size][size=small]of any defects found on an ABS system."[/size]