Valve shims ?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Panman40
Has liked: 257 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Valve shims ?

Post by Panman40 »

I was going to just order any shim sizes I need when I get round to the valve clearances but I’m stewing on buying a kit so I have some at hand, I see there’s some very cheap n nasty looking ones for sale here in the uk…. Any ideas if there’s a decent kit around and if bmw specific shims are just a certain brand supplied to dealers ?. I believe they are 8.90 mm dia ones for the shifthead.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Valve shims ?

Post by David. »

Panman40 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:31 pmI believe they are 8.90 mm dia. ones for the shifthead.
Looks about right.

Panman40 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:31 pmI’m stewing on buying a kit so I have some at hand, I see there’s some very cheap n nasty looking ones for sale here in the UK.
Any ideas if there’s a decent kit around.
What is the cost of a shim kit vs buying them individually as required for £5.28 each from say Motorworks.
OEM shims come in increments of 0.02 mm, what is the range in the kit, I've seen one in 0.04 mm increments.
Here is an example of a shim kit from Wiseco, https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/171213689
They claim to be, "expertly manufactured to OEM specifications with optimum materials".
Panman40 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:31 pmI was going to just order any shim sizes I need.
I'd just buy them separately as necessary, you might find none are required.
Only changed one in 43K miles on my current Camhead and none in 36K miles on the previous Camhead.

How many Shifthead owners have actually had any shims changed. If so, were they inlet or exhaust and in what quantity.
Panman40
Has liked: 257 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

David. wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:58 pm Looks about right.

What is the cost of a shim kit vs buying them individually as required for £5.28 each from say Motorworks.
OEM shims come in increments of 0.02 mm, what is the range in the kit, I've seen one in 0.04 mm increments.
Here is an example of a shim kit from Wiseco, https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/171213689
They claim to be, "expertly manufactured to OEM specifications with optimum materials".

I'd just buy them separately as necessary, you might find none are required.
Only changed one in 43K miles on my current Camhead and none in 36K miles on the previous Camhead.

How many Shifthead owners have actually had any shims changed. If so, were they inlet or exhaust and in what quantity.
You’re right, that wiseco kit doesn’t have all the sizes, I’ll probably order the ones I need separately but it would have been nice to of had them on site. My aim is to fine tune the clearances towards the tighter end so may need to change a few. I remember years ago doing the Zeds I did put a few on a whetstone :shock:…. I suddenly remembered I think they are the correct diameter but I just can’t find them now!.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Panman40 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:12 am You’re right, that wiseco kit doesn’t have all the sizes, I’ll probably order the ones I need separately but it would have been nice to of had them on site. My aim is to fine tune the clearances towards the tighter end so may need to change a few. I remember years ago doing the Zeds I did put a few on a whetstone :shock:…. I suddenly remembered I think they are the correct diameter but I just can’t find them now!.
For what reason are you going to the tighter end?